You can type here any text you want

question about cam sensor

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

1fast6

If the engine was put together dot to dot with the tc and hasn't been rotated is it at tdc? if so will the notch on the balencer be at 0 on the timing tab?

EDIT: Also, the vortex site says to mark the balencer 1.45" from tdc. How precise is that? My tape measure doesn't
have 20th's on it and 1.45" is 1 9/20. So where should I make a mark? maybe 1 7/16"?

yes

If the engine was put together dot to dot with the tc and hasn't been rotated is it at tdc? if so will the notch on the balencer be at 0 on the timing tab?

EDIT: Also, the vortex site says to mark the balencer 1.45" from tdc. How precise is that? My tape measure doesn't
have 20th's on it and 1.45" is 1 9/20. So where should I make a mark? maybe 1 7/16"?

If you are sure # 1 piston is @ TDC---Useing a piston stop or dial indicator--then yes you timing pointer will or should be @ the TDC factory mark on balencer. Dot to dot is TDC for # 1. Use you timing tab to mark off 25 degrees. Remove tab and place it over balancer--tab has 10 degree mark and 15 degree mark. Mark off 10 then 15--make a new mark. BTW,it is 25 degrees ATDC

thanks for the reply. just waiting on battery to charge so I can set cam sensor

If you use a std. tape measure, use 1 1/2" inches and then move the mark about the width of the stock timing mark over to the right. (looking at the front of the engine. Make the cam sensor mark COUNTER clockwise 1.5" from the factory timing mark. This all when looking at the front of the engine. If your new mark is a few degrees off, it won't make a difference at all. (with stock ECM anyway) But.....I'm gonna have to throw a wrench into the gears a bit here and say: You really needed to degree the cam in, and not just trust the timing marks. There are many issues that need to be checked: Cam ground wrong, cam gear machined wrong, crank gear machined wrong, chain wrong pitch, crank key wrong, woodruff key worn, balancer machined wrong, balancer keyway worn. All of these issues can easily be verified in about a half hour with a degree wheel. Too late now, I know, but others need to consider this when assembling an engine.

If you use a std. tape measure, use 1 1/2" inches and then move the mark about the width of the stock timing mark over to the right. (looking at the front of the engine. Make the cam sensor mark COUNTER clockwise 1.5" from the factory timing mark. This all when looking at the front of the engine. If your new mark is a few degrees off, it won't make a difference at all. (with stock ECM anyway) But.....I'm gonna have to throw a wrench into the gears a bit here and say: You really needed to degree the cam in, and not just trust the timing marks. There are many issues that need to be checked: Cam ground wrong, cam gear machined wrong, crank gear machined wrong, chain wrong pitch, crank key wrong, woodruff key worn, balancer machined wrong, balancer keyway worn. All of these issues can easily be verified in about a half hour with a degree wheel. Too late now, I know, but others need to consider this when assembling an engine.

This is the stock cam. Just did a timing chain swap. I used the stock timing indicator to make my mark. It is mark from 0-20* so I marked it at 20 then rotated it clockwise another 5* and made my final mark then put that mark at 0* on the pointer.

This is the stock cam. Just did a timing chain swap. I used the stock timing indicator to make my mark. It is mark from 0-20* so I marked it at 20 then rotated it clockwise another 5* and made my final mark then put that mark at 0* on the pointer.

If you are looking at the front of the engine while standing in front of the car, the new timing mark needs to be COUNTER-clockwise (CCW) (to the left)of the original timing mark. Is THAT where it is now, or did you mark it to the right of the factory mark? I use a hack saw and cut a new notch in the balancer and fill it with yellow paint.

yeah, it's ccw. got everything back together but when I went to plug in the IAC harness, the iac sensor broke. must have been over torqued by po. Probly explains erratic idle issues I have with car.
Just p/u a new one today but won't have it in til tomorrow.

Back