You can type here any text you want

Question about Subwoofer

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Rick

I'm beginning to look at upgrading my stereo. I have the stock CSII door and dash speakers and a pair of RF 6x9's in the back.
I've read the archives here and have decided to go with CV speakers for the doors and dash and I'm sticking with the Fosgates in the rear. I'm going to change out my Pioneer head unit to an Alpine. I want to add a subwoofer in the trunk and add an amp.

Do I need to somehow vent between the trunk and the interior? With six speakers and a sub, what kind of amp or amps should I get? Should I bass block all the speakers except the sub? Or does the amp crossovers take care of that? Do the door and dash speakers feed off the same channel(paralleled)? Do I get a head unit with anything special to hook to the amp? Should I get a separate amp for the sub?

My goal is a good sounding system that looks nice but right now my wifes Expeditions stock stereo system blows mine away. I'd be happy with a system in my GN that sounds as good or maybe a bit better than that. So with what I've decided on what is your advice on the missing pieces?

Alpine head unit M#? Leaning towards CDA7892
Rockford Fosgate 6x9 rear deck speakers
Cerwin Vega door and dash speakers
Subwoofer ?
Amp or Amps Make and Model#

I'd really like your suggestions and learn more BEFORE I start shopping so I at least know what I am looking at and what I am talking about. I know there are a million combo's to accomplish what I want but if a few of you can fill in my blanks I think I can figure it out from there.

Originally posted by Rick
Do I need to somehow vent between the trunk and the interior?

You dont need to but it does help bring the bottom end sound into the vehicle. Click on my link in my sig if you want to see how I vented into my GN.

That looks like something I'll end up doing. Your link to that thread doesn't show the pic anymore.

I'm in the process of building a subwoofer box to fit on the package shelf in the trunk. The face will extend from trunk hinge to trunk hinge, but the actual box will be smaller. Anyway, I bought an Image Dynamics IDQ12 inch and I don't need any more bass. Literally shakes the whole car. It sells for $200 at www.sounddomaine.com but I got it for $59 off ebay. Then i went to local stereo shop and bought a Rockford Fosgate 450S amp. 450 watts per channel (mono) into 4 ohms. I just bought a rockford Fosgate RFX9200 head unit from ebay (buy it now) for $144. Sells for $299 at Crutchfield. I like it because it has a summed preamp out for the subwoofer, and also a subwoofer level control right on the headunit. I recommend Ebay for bargains. I'll finish off the trunk in black carpet all the way around. I bought some 1/8" fiber board and some bendable metal strips to make my trunk kit. I'll bend the strips the way I want them, then tie wrap the fiber board to them and glue carpet to it.

That looks like something I'll end up doing. Your link to that thread doesn't show the pic anymore.

You have to click on the pic that I have attached to view it in that thread, it should be a few posts down. If you can't get it to work, I can email you the pic.

Audiowizzard this is the pic attachment that I can't get to work in that thread.

"Attachment: gn back seat.jpg
This has been downloaded 27 time(s)."

If you don't mind, please e-mail it to norm@oaktree.net.

TurboDog, I'll look up what you got and check it out. In your set up does the head unit have a subwoofer output that hooks to the amp then the subwoofer hooks to an output of the amp?
If you have a 4-channel amp does the rear speakers take up two and you parallel the door and dash speakers on the other two channels? When you use a subwoofer do you filter out the bass to all other speakers?

Thanks for your patience, I know these are stupid questions for most of you but I'll get a handle on it quickly with your help!!

Audiowizzard this is the pic attachment that I can't get to work in that thread.

TurboDog, I'll look up what you got and check it out. In your set up does the head unit have a subwoofer output that hooks to the amp then the subwoofer hooks to an output of the amp?

YES.

If you have a 4-channel amp does the rear speakers take up two and you parallel the door and dash speakers on the other two channels?

CHECK WITH AUDIOWIZARD ON THAT ONE.

When you use a subwoofer do you filter out the bass to all other speakers?

YES.

Thanks for your patience, I know these are stupid questions for most of you but I'll get a handle on it quickly with your help!!
THOSE WERE VERY GOOD QUESTIONS!

It must be a moderator thing to still be able to open attachments. I will e-mail you the pic today. :)

Thanks for the pic. I'm going to keep researching this because I'm still unclear on some issues. I don't want to just go to the store and tell them to install it and send me the bill. I really want to make an intelligent decision on what to buy. I'm leaning towards right now upgrading the front speakers and installing an amp. Then I will move on to a new head unit and sub-woofer. Thanks for your help.

Back