You can type here any text you want

Question on aligning springs

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

robk46

Just put new springs in the car all the way around. The car now has a 5/8 - 3/4 inch lean, with the passenger side being lower. I tried to get the front springs to line up with the first hole in the rear of the lower control arm. There are two sight holes, and I know from experience with my "A" body that you have to be able to see the beginnning of the coil in that sight hole for the spring to be set up properly. Did I do it right? Should they be lined up with the second hole? I took the measurements from the frame to the ground, so I'm sure it's not the body bushings. What about the rear springs. Any tips on making sure they're aligned right?

Just put new springs in the car all the way around. The car now has a 5/8 - 3/4 inch lean, with the passenger side being lower. I tried to get the front springs to line up with the first hole in the rear of the lower control arm. There are two sight holes, and I know from experience with my "A" body that you have to be able to see the beginnning of the coil in that sight hole for the spring to be set up properly. Did I do it right? Should they be lined up with the second hole? I took the measurements from the frame to the ground, so I'm sure it's not the body bushings. What about the rear springs. Any tips on making sure they're aligned right?
---------------------------
Might want to do a search. There are several threads on this same subject, with some of them being mine. Some spring kits are notoriously unmatched right out of the box, and some springs will sag early. Whose brand of springs did you install? Do a search under my name and you will see some more info on this subject.

It was the sway bar end link bushings

Checked everything today, and the coil springs were aligned identically front and rear. I started measureing clearances between ground and frame with the car on jack stands in the front. Everything sat perfectly. I then measured the lower "A" arm to ground distance and the distance between the upper and lower "A" arms on both sides. Still identical. Then I remembered that the PST set I bought had two different end link bushings. We went with the shorter bushings and thinner washers because they gave us more thread to work with. I started thinking that maybe the shorter/thinner ones were making the front sway bar twist. So I took the shorter/thinner bushings and washers out and put the thicker bushings and washers in. Went out and drove the car around, took some corners and went over the railroad tracks a few times, brought it back to the house and measured. 26 1/2 inches from floor to wheel well lip on both sides!!

Back