You can type here any text you want

Question on oil changes

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbolou

Lou's Automotive 949-378-1590
occasionally I'm asked or read that oil should be changed once a year regardless of miles driven. Now is this an old school theory or currently valid. I have driven my GNX 600 miles in a year & oil looks like the day I changed it last. Do modern synthetic oils go bad in a situation like mine. I know enough to make sure the car is started & warmed up often enough to charge battery & preserve its drivable condition & yes even drive it a bit to local events. What say the experts to this.

when you do drive it, do you actually get it up to temp and keep it there for any period of time? like 20 miles or so? if not, then change it every year.

I wouldnt really take a chance on my car. Cheap insurance so to speak. I drive my GN sometimes only once about every 2 months only for a pleasure cruise and I still change mine at least every 4 months. Maybe a little excesive but thats just me. Sometimes the oil I take out goes in the fleet trucks for the business or into the wifes car. I enjoy working on it. Just my$.02.

when you do drive it, do you actually get it up to temp and keep it there for any period of time? like 20 miles or so? if not, then change it every year.

You're on the right track. Car needs to be taken to operating temp often to burn off any condensation that has accumulated in the oil from sitting and 'warm up' starts for the battery.

If your car sits like mine change the oil, but don't forget that the condensation from not using is bad for the exhaust system too. Ask me how I know. :p

Back