You can type here any text you want

Question ?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbolou

Lou's Automotive 949-378-1590
Has anyone in the know heard of or tried treating specifically a 109 block with a metal strengthening process. There are several options available. Like cryogenic or metal lax treatment. But I wondering if its worth the expense or if anyone has considered it. Thanks Lou

I've went the Cryo'd & Coating path...
Everything except the crank in the rotating assembly and couldn't see a reason for doing the intake. Complete heads, pistons & pins, valves and springs, rocker assembly, cam, push rods, rollers, bearings, turbo and fasteners.

Turbo was disambled for cryo treatment and drop shipped to Calico.

Heads, valves, pistons & pins, rings, springs and bearings were coated @ Calico Coatings (Jerry Ehlert). I did not coat the crank since IMO windage isn't a factor until you get past alot more rpm than these will be turning. As soon as I'm finished with the exhaust system, it will get coated @ www.Calicocoatings.com.
If you need bearings check with Jerry, he may have them on the shelf or if he doesn't can most likely get them for you cheaper than you will find them and save you some expense.
Note: use moly base coating on bearings with a forged or billet piece.
(Teflon on a cast crank ie. stock piece)

Malory metal will break the crank if it is in place, balance the crank after the cryo process and it would not hurt a thing to get it coated. It's only money.

Cryo Treatment
Bob Reed
www.300below.com
Decatur, Ill

Gary

I've been mondering about this myself. If you don't mind me asking, What did coating the various parts cost?

coating cost.

Give Jerry a call, he will be happy to give that info.
I"m not wanting to bone his gig, most likely upset him if I missed something.
Use me as a reference if you care to (i need some points). :biggrin:

Thanks Gary, I've also been looking into a metal lax treatment, It stress relieves metal. When you bore or remove metal it puts sheer stress's in it & this metal lax process is supposed to counter that. It's only $90.00 to have it done locally here. I quess the worst I can do is waste some money by trying it.

Sorry,
I'm not up to speed on the lax process. Maybe a thread would help.
Back in the day we seasoned new casting sitting them outside for a few weeks of stress relief. If things were in a rush we used a freezer locker and oven, taking a day up, day out and back to the freezer a couple of times (PITA) but did the trick. Also used a gas burner and drum with the burner being a couple of feet under the block and the drum used as a stack around the block for heat control.
Lax process would be a money saver if the results pan out... I would like to know BTW.

Sorry,
I'm not up to speed on the lax process. Maybe a thread would help.
Back in the day we seasoned new casting sitting them outside for a few weeks of stress relief. If things were in a rush we used a freezer locker and oven, taking a day up, day out and back to the freezer a couple of times (PITA) but did the trick. Also used a gas burner and drum with the burner being a couple of feet under the block and the drum used as a stack around the block for heat control.
Lax process would be a money saver if the results pan out... I would like to know BTW.
I spoke at length with an engineer that owns an outfit that does that & also with Dan Sterzo whom I respect.My understanding was that the process retreats the metal that gets disturbed from the machining process & should be done after the rough out work & before final honing. No claims on actual strengthening have been claimed but that where cryo comes in.There's an outfit called 300 below I believe in Michigan that's supposed to be the best at this. Unless of course you want to contact ( cheese burger ) that Canadian who seems to have a good solution.lol

Back