You can type here any text you want

Questions about the GNX rims???

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Turbodan

Were the black spoked rims that come on the GNX actually GTA rims painted black instead of gold? What size were the rims on the GNX? 16X8?? 16X10??

A friend of mine said he has 4 rims that are from a GTA but have been blacked out like the GNX rims. Were the GTA rims 16X8's???

I have GTA and they 16x8 and if memory serves me correct the GNX were 16x8 but I think the backspacing was different. I think the GNX had less backspacing.

Dan,

All 4 GNX rims were 16x8. Their backspacing is diff than the GTA rims. If you do use GTA rims on a GN, put the fronts on the rear of the GN and the rears on the front of the GN. A lot of people just buy 4 GTA front rims and go that way.....I guess they like the look of it???

to what I remember, the front was 16x8 and the rear was 16x8.5. cause the GNXs came with P245/50VR16 Goodyear Gatorbacks on the front and P255/50VR16 on the rear.

-Adam

Here is a direct quote off the GNX site.
"The steel 15"x7" Grand National wheels are replaced with lighter 16 inch black "honeycomb" alloys (2-piece welded) and wear Good Year VR50 245/50/16 up front and 255/50/16 in back. Tires are readily available from a variety of manufacturers because they are the same size as the Corvette. The center cap is modified from the Trans Am GTA and the lug nuts use a screw-on plastic cap so they appear black. The front and rear wheels were custom made for the GNX by JWC. The wheels are actually labeled "Rear Only" and "Front Only". They have specific offsets, which are different than the Grand National. The front wheels are stamped "-15" and the rears "-23", which is in millimeters. This has been a topic of discussion, so I measured the total backspacing of the wheels: from the deck of inner hub to the outmost lip. The front is 3-15/16" and the rear is 3-9/16". The difference comes out to approx. 8mm which matches the difference in the offset spec. Late 80's Trans Am GTA wheels look similar but are not a direct replacement. I don't think any of the aftermarket wheels are correct for the GNX either, because the rear track is wider with the factory wheels. For example, I tried the Classic Industries GTA repro wheels (fronts) and they rubbed my frame on both sides. They measure 4-7/16" backspacing hub to lip. I'll measure Kirban's repro wheels when I get a chance, but I do know they don't rub."

Back