Questions for the expert painters.

turbo39151

anycoloraslongasitsblack
I'm looking to shoot a car (not a Buick). It currently has black epoxy primer and just want to hit it with some clear and call it good for now.
Is there a particular brand I should be considering? (doesn't have to be fancy- I'm doing this so I don't have t drop $10k on a decent paint job)
Any tips prior to spraying I should consider or maybe a link to a good tutorial?

I am no professional but I am in class now painting one of my GN's. I attend the local college in the evening. One guy is painting a 1963 Mercury Meteor and his car has the black epoxy on it also. It was recommended that he put a 2K sealer over the epoxy and then clear or hit it with hot rod black for a satin sheen look. I don't have any pics finished because he hasn't did any of it yet. He is still doing minor body work and not in the class in this very short semester. We get the better deals on PPG as students but 1/2 the class uses Nasons because it more readily available at Oreilly's. Most painters that you speak to use the brand that they learned with. SPI in GA has a diamond clear that looks great also.
IMG_0941.JPG
IMG_1790.JPG

Your better off shooting it with a hotrod black than dealing with the headaches of spraying a clear over epoxy.

Typically the primer, or even the epoxy will not be UV stable and will chalk out or turn brown overtime.
AG.

Thanks for all the responses!

Hmm. Good info. The issue for me is that the epoxy was sprayed over the bare metal to protect it and no body work has been done- doesn't really need much anyway. I figured shooting the clear would protect it and I could avoid paint. Trying to keep the car from being too pretty. Prefer somewhat of a beater appearance so that I will actually drive it!

If I spray hot rod black, won't I need clear over it as well?

Alan's comment about sums it up.
Summit's Hotrod black is "supposedly" good for weather....Not sure.
My newly acquired 55 Chevy has been sprayed w/ it. Don't think it has seen much sun, rain, since it was done.
The guy that sprayed it said, "That shit is like spraying mud. I had to thin it a lot, just to get it to go thru the gun. The car will have to be stripped, in order to paint it."
I'm going to go thru the car, do all the repairs, etc, and drive it. I'll know more next yr, after I take another one of my "bucket list" trips.:sneaky:

This car will be much like my Buicks. It will probably never see any weather. But since I literally painted myself into a corner making my Buicks so nice, I wanted to try and keep a car as an "ok to look at and actually drive and enjoy" type of project. The money savings is nice too!

SEM make a nice hotrod black kit the is easy to spraying and will be less likely to have compatibility problems with the primer.

Just found an SEM kit.
Since I've never shot anything aside from spray paint, is there some sort of rule as to how much paint is necessary to the size of the car? It's a 67 pontiac (17' long).

Is a gallon enough or too much?

The system is only 1 qt... Seems like not enough paint. http://www.tcpglobal.com/SEM-HR010-LV_5.html

Multiple light overlapping coats. Let it build up coverage instead of spraying so much it runs. It is a balancing act between too dry and too wet. Buy a quart of the cheapest color and practice on an old piece of metal. Stay about 8” off the surface and widen the spray pattern to about 8” also.