You can type here any text you want

Questions on direct scan

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TurboJames

My old laptop died, was curious to see what operating system people have ran and had success with. Finding a old laptop is going to be difficult

Most everybody have switched over to Powerlogger. Attached much like direct scan but far more powerful and versatile.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk.[emoji252]

Pretty much anything with a old style serial printer port (db25 maybe?) and the ability to run a c: prompt. I have an early 2000's Dell with XP and it ran on it.

I think anything with Windows 98 or older works fine. I tried it with Windows 2000 and it did not work so well trying to run it in a DOS window rather than in true DOS mode whihc went away with 2000 iirc.
I have several old laptops I used for work back in the day that I keep around just for that purpose. IBM 600E's work great, I also have some install disks for Windows '95 for that purpose :)
Shop around on ebay and you are bound to find something cheap, probably for $100 or less.

I went to a local Good Will that only deals with electronic stuff and got an old Dell for $25. I paid more for the new power supply. It has about 10 different size plugs and a selector switch for different voltages. I just looked at the Full Throttle page at the ScanMaster G and Powerlogger setups.

Nothing later than Windows 98SE, and you need a parallel printer port (that's the 25 pin connector, the serial port is the 9 pin one). I use an IBM T23 laptop because way back when I needed a "new" laptop it was old enough to have the parallel port and new enough to have USB ports. Just accept that anything that old will have a dead battery so simply run it off of an inverter plugged into the cigarette lighter, and the AC supply.

You can usually find new batteries for old computers on ebay, I bought 2 new batteries for my 90's era 600E about a year ago.

Back