You can type here any text you want

questions on replacing head gaskets

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Rodney87GN

A few days ago I blew the passenger side head gasket. The driver's side appears to be ok. My question is...assuming the drivers side head gasket is indeed fine, should I replace it anyway? Sorry if it sounds stupid...but I'm thinking that since I have the motor torn down that far anyway, it's not much more to remove the other head to replace the gasket and start "fresh".

On the other hand, I'm also thinking "if it aint broke don't fix it.":biggrin:

One more thing...I think I got lucky with the way the gasket blew. The fire ring on the #4 cylinder blew outward (towards the header). So no oil or water got mixed together (I run straight water and RMI). When it blew, no smoke was coming out the exhaust, oil pressure was still normal, and it didn't overheat. It just sounded like a huge, nasty exhaust leak....

So should I still drop the oil pan and inspect the bearings, or clean out the oil pickup? I'm assuming I shouldn't have to since none of that crap got circulated in the motor. I was planning on just changing the oil and filter a couple of times to flush it. What do you guys think?

its all up to you i would just do both sides your there already by the way what is RMI i myself just finish retorquing my heads after a headgasket job what a pain make sure your change oil and filter have fun.

A few days ago I blew the passenger side head gasket. The driver's side appears to be ok. My question is...assuming the drivers side head gasket is indeed fine, should I replace it anyway? Sorry if it sounds stupid...but I'm thinking that since I have the motor torn down that far anyway, it's not much more to remove the other head to replace the gasket and start "fresh".

On the other hand, I'm also thinking "if it aint broke don't fix it.":biggrin:

One more thing...I think I got lucky with the way the gasket blew. The fire ring on the #4 cylinder blew outward (towards the header). So no oil or water got mixed together (I run straight water and RMI). When it blew, no smoke was coming out the exhaust, oil pressure was still normal, and it didn't overheat. It just sounded like a huge, nasty exhaust leak....

So should I still drop the oil pan and inspect the bearings, or clean out the oil pickup? I'm assuming I shouldn't have to since none of that crap got circulated in the motor. I was planning on just changing the oil and filter a couple of times to flush it. What do you guys think?

replace hem both because the other gasket has seen detonation too. it just didnt blow but there are probably track marks toward the coolant passages

replace hem both because the other gasket has seen detonation too. it just didnt blow but there are probably track marks toward the coolant passages
That's something I didn't think of. I think I'll just do both of them to be safe.

its all up to you i would just do both sides your there already by the way what is RMI i myself just finish retorquing my heads after a headgasket job what a pain make sure your change oil and filter have fun.
RMI is a cooling system additive that can be used in place of standard anti freeze. Lots of Buick guys use it with plain water with good results. Check out arizonagn.com, you can buy it from them.

Thanks for your input guys!

Do both
If there is no gasket material missing from headgaskets just flush a couple times with oil.

I just went through this about a month ago.I ended up pulling the other side just to be safe.It was blown also.You also find out how much work it is to pull it apart,and its not something you want to do all over again.

Attachments

• HPIM1884.jpg
    HPIM1884.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 180
I just got done pulling the other head off. That gasket looked fine, no evidence of detonation or damage. But I am glad I spent the extra 30 minutes to remove it just for peace of mind. Plus I was able to inspect the valve springs closely and found one of the inner spring dampers broken. The passenger head had 2 broken dampers.:mad: It chewed up the valve guide seals too. The springs were K Motion 750s. Since I have both heads off I'm just going to replace all the springs with Comp Cams beehives...no more inner damper to worry about.

If you have not done it already you may want to have the exhaust guides cut down so you can put seals on them.

Back