R4 compressor front seal

Sal Lubrano

I need to change the front shaft seal on a r-4 ac compressor. I used the clutch puller tool and removed the clutch plate already. I see a snap ring inside hub. How to get the old seal out and new one in without damaging anything?Has anyone changed this seal. I am going to install a double lip seal.

Most people don't change the front seal on an R4 compressor. The new seal usually leaks too.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Long nose snap ring pliers to get the C-clip out. Be careful to not scratch the bore.

If there is any pressure left in the system that may blow the seal out, so be careful.

There are seal R&R tools that work. Can also pressurize the system. Place a rag over the front of the compressor first. They pop out with some force.

Can also use a narrow punch and make two holes in the metal portion of the seal, opposite of each other. Then use small sheet metal or wood screws and thread them in. Can now grab them with long nose pliers and twist/pull the seal out.

To install the new seal use a seal protector that goes over the shaft. This is a must. Lube it and the seal with refrigerant oil, force the seal over the protector to 'open it up a bit'. Then install the protector and using the seal R&R tool insert seal into the compressor nose.

Be sure that the new o-ring that was installed was also dipped in refrigerant oil.

Only use a GM seal. I've had issues with aftermarket seals. Not only are you unable to grab them with the R&R tool. But they are oversize and/or oval, not round. Which means that you can't seat them into the compressor. You'll know if the snap ring groove isn't visible.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Thank you for a great procedure. Would you say it is acceptable to have some oil in the bore or should it be dry? This compressor I have here came from a working system, don't know if the system had a 100% charge but it was working. I found oil under the clutch plate in the bore. Figured there must be a leak if there is oil? The compressor is about 10 years old with 20,000 miles when it was brand new (not rebuilt).

I understand that the reason new seals fail is worn front bearing. Check front shaft bearing play and replace as necessary