You can type here any text you want

"Racing only" thermostat?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Johnnie

went to oreilly's to get a 160 deg stat. Book shows two. One says " racing only " . Is there a difference? Both made by mr gasket. I bought the regular one since it's street driven. Should I get the other one?
Johnie

That's because it's not approved for emissions. Altering the coolant temp will slightly alter tail pipe output.

And because fuel injected engines burn more efficiently with coolant temps in the upper 170's to mid/upper 180's than they would at cooler temps.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk.[emoji252]

.. pretty sure the mr gasket thermostat that the catalogs show as fitting wont fit anyway so either choice is wrong

You might want to consider ordering a new thermostat & possibly a new stainless steel T-stat housing from Kirban's.

I know that those parts are guaranteed to fit.

Thank you fellas from your input. Looks like I'm going to get the 180 deg stat. I know with the airplane, it was imperative that you get the oil temp over 180 degrees to burn off all the combustion crap that accumulates. Since I do drive it in cooler weather, and don't drive it when it's screaming hot, I think 180 is the way to go. Thanks for the heads up on the fitment.

Back