Radiator for '86-'87

Rob_85Ttype

Where can I get a new, full size, 3-core (or bigger), '86-'87 radiator, preferably with a warranty.

The ones that are sold at Autozone and Advance Auto Parts as '86-'87s are actually the smaller '84-'85s.

Stocker is STILL Available!! Part Number is: 52481580, Price is only $301.08 (99% of us get our GM parts at Dealer + 5%)

I'm going to give the Auto Zone cooler a whirl on my '87.

I picked one up on Sunday. What the the hay?

My crusty, 200,000+ stocker is getting ornery in traffic and if this $90 radiator can keep up in the Mid-South heat that's fine with me. (It does not have an oil cooler but mine's been disconnected for the last 90,000 miles anyway.)

If it can't handle it, I'll return it and try something else. :)

I'm running some cooling system flush through my engine this week to help remove rust and deposits. I'll then run straight water for a couple days and then drain again and swap radiators this weekend. I'll treat the car to the new overflow container I bought last year too. That always dresses things up.

MeanBuicks,

Let me know if the width (not core thickness) is correct for the '86-'87. I believe the radiator you're referring to is the 2 row (due to the lower price). I have the 3 row radiator which is listed for the '85 and the '86-'87, but I know that the '85 radiator is not as wide as the '86-'87 one, so their listing must be wrong.

My friend ordered one for a V8 Regal (no oil cooler but it's the same size as the 86-87 TRs). Unfortunately we found out that the fin count isn't as high (because of the mechanical fan maybe?). The best difference I've ever made, even over my massive 4 row was a 3 row out of the junkyard off of a V6 diesel car. Even with the frontmount it stays on 160 unless I run the heck out of it but it still cools back down to 160. The fin count is as high as I've ever seen so it should be perfect for a low airflow situation like electrical fan and front mount IC.

Radiator

:eek: I bought a new GM radiator from Advance Auto Parts a year ago when the Buick dealer told me it was no longer available. I have an 87 Turbo T and was under the impression it was an exact replacement. I think I paid $240. Should I do more checking to see what I got? I've had no overheating problems with it and it gets pretty hot here in Central Illinois in the summer time.

Nick Micale sells an awesome stock replacement radiator thats
3core design. He calls it a desert radiator for out here in the hot AZ weather. Alot of guys have them and have front mounts infront off them and don't have overheating problems. U should give him a call.

Nick Micale
3334 W. Marconi Ave
Phoenix, AZ 85053
602-866-9908
arizonaGN@earthlink.net
www.ArizonaGN.com

Originally posted by Rob_85Ttype
MeanBuicks,

Let me know if the width (not core thickness) is correct for the '86-'87. I believe the radiator you're referring to is the 2 row (due to the lower price). I have the 3 row radiator which is listed for the '85 and the '86-'87, but I know that the '85 radiator is not as wide as the '86-'87 one, so their listing must be wrong.

I'll measure mine and let you know. BTW, I got part #433569 which is, in fact listed as being a two row. I looked inside and counted three. Go figure.

That part # is what they list (see www.autozone.com) for every Regal application from 1984-1987 regardless of engine or A/C. Seems to be universal to them.

Hey Greg,
I had mine recored with a factory type 3 row at Rodgers on Mendenhall. Good work so far, but I painted it up better before installing. $140 if I remember right and it's local. Kept all connections stock that way.

Thanks for that info about Rodgers.

I went out and took a closer look at the OEM radiator and the AZ 433569. I hadn't even pulled it completely out of the box until just now. The stock unit measures 32 inches tank-to-tank.

The AZ radiator measures 26, so it is narrower. Also, I took a closer look at the core. Next time I won't count the rows in the dark. :rolleyes: The tanks can accept three rows, but it is only two. Rob is right in that the AZ database is incorrect for the 86-87 TRs.

So, I looked back at autozone.com and see a different number listed for a 307 powered Olds Cutlass. It's a three-row according to the site. I'll go take a look at that one and trade the 433569 on it if it looks appropriate. The V8 unit lists for $149 BTW.

Alrighty then!

I swapped the 2-row 433569 for the 3-row 433162 radiator. It is the right length and, as mentioned by cool 84, has a lower fin count than the stock unit. I'm going to run this and see how it does.

Oh, the larger 3-row unit wound up being $3 cheaper than the 2-row. :cool:

MeanBuicks,

I have the 3 core AutoZone radiator, part 433571 which is the other part number listed for '86-'87, and it also measures 26" core end to core end. These two AZ radiators are definitely for the Hot Air application, and not the '86-'87.

I can't trade mine back in though, I've had it for five years now, and just traded it in for a new one (lifetime warranty), and that's when I checked the part numbers for the '86-'87.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Swap it for the 433571. It's 32" tank-to-tank. It was listed under 1987 Olds Cutlass w/ 307 V8.

No, it only has a transmission cooler so it may not be for everyone. As I stated earlier in this thread, I removed my oil cooler lines & adapter long ago so I'm not bothered by the omission.

For $86.99, I'm not complaining. :p Now to put it to the test...

I thought the lower fin count was better for use with a front mount intercooler & higher fin count for cars without front mount..sounds better to me anyways..easier to get air through if the fins are bigger & less per inch..more fins per inch would be a lil harder to get air through also..I thought Tony had said this at one time somewhere on one of his sites.may be wrong..let me know..I know H.E. Radiators are more fins per inch but thats what you would out on a old car with no air or especially no FM.
Brian
If the higher fin count is better for use with a FM..someone find out what kind of car that diesel radiator came out of there

I'm no expert by far but I've always understood that a higher fin count is good in low airflow conditions. Compare the V8 radiator (low fin count) that came with a mechanical fan to the 87 TR radiator that came with an electric fan. The V8 one doesn't work well with an electric fan. My friend bought one and it had issues with the ambient temp only being ~80 degrees.

Like I said, I bought a huge 4 core with a low fin count and had overheating problems with it and my FMIC. I then borrowed a stock 87TR radiator and it was better. Then I found the one in V6 diesel car that was the same size, 3 core, but had an extremely high fin count (I almost think it was an aftermarket radiator) and my cooling problems went away.

Another thing that dropped my coolant temps by about 10-15 degrees was my external oil cooler.

Originally posted by MeanBuicks
Swap it for the 433571. It's 32" tank-to-tank. It was listed under 1987 Olds Cutlass w/ 307 V8.

I installed this exact radiator just 2 weeks ago and I can tell a big difference. My stocker had 106,xxx on it and it was so corroded up I can't belive it was flowing anything. I live in Kentucky, and we get the heat as well as the humidity, and last week temps were in the mid-80's and my new radiator didn't get over 184*, and I have a front mount. (The old one would get as high as 220*). That was in traffic too. Haven't ran the a/c yet because it isn't charged, but it shouldn't run too much hotter. I didn't have the funds for a more expensive radiator, but had to do something. For $89.00, you can't beat it. I did have to take my oil cooler lines off for the time being, but I'm going to get an engine oil cooler anyway. I'm happy with it.

Donnie