Radiator petcock, etc.

Lynn D. Brown

When I open that el cheapo plastic petcock on our radiators, nothing comes out - assuming of course that it is opening. I got another plastic petcock @ AP store. But the damned stock thing in there doesn't screw out. So how are we supposed to pull that sucker out to put a new one in ?

Kinda thinking of that radiator-fan combo set for 3rd Gen's in Summit, but I'm in no hurry to spend $800-1000. Thought I would try to clean out what's in there 1st.

I put in block petcocks when nothing came out the last time I flushed it ~ 25-30 K mi. ago. The car doesn't run hot as long as the outside T is < 85-90°F, but on real hot days, say 90-100°, the temp takes off over 200-220°. How 'bout U guys ?

New radiators at Advance Autozone are only 120 bucks. So no need to fret about it.

Some cars the petcocks unscrew CW instead of CCW. And then when you unscrew it. you then pull it out.

What sucks is access to it.

For me its usually easier to just disconnect the hose going in to the radiator. Of course this is very messy but it gets the job done, just need a bigger pan/bucket to catch everything.

If this is the original radiator it is almost 20 years old and has reached the end of its service life. As mentioned before, new stock aluminum units run $120 - $150 everywhere all day long. They are worth every penny and should cure your over heating problems. What kind of t-stat are you running? Is your water pump original? If so change it out when you have the radiator out, it will be alot easier with the extra room.