You can type here any text you want

Ran a 03 Cobra

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

JDSfastGN

To add another 03 cobra kill to this section I got to run my first one tonight in my 87. I was out trolling down Westheimer and was way down near RSI motorsports and notice a Mustang leaving the parking lot, and he gave it a very healthy sounding rev. I turned my blinker on to turn around and follow him, and after a little bit pulled in behind him at a light. I gave a rev as I went by and he bit. I know it had exhaust at least, it was a really deep sounding 3" or so . He pulled up and we evened out. I'm not sure why nobody honked, but I went about half throttle and waited and heard him take off( I was not meaning to take off early, I was just trying to instigate it by jumping a little and letting him here the 44 do its job), and I heard him take off, so I punched it(from about 25mph). I immediatly proceeded to pull a good 4 lengths on him up to my 80. I'm not sure when he let out. Nobody call BS I was suspecious my self, i know I should be faster than a very mild Cobra on Pump gas but wasn't sure it should have been that bad. He pulled up and I complimented him on his ride and he did the same. I asked if it was an 03 and he said yes. I told him I really didn't hear the blower whine and he replied with something that I couldn't make out. I got back to cruising at 35 or so and he would not pull up next to me again. He just hung way back (the speed limt was 45) and he had been doing that before the race. It had all the markings of a new cobra along with the integrated rear spoiler and the new fog lights, I could not tell the hood, but it was taller than the white 99 or 01 I had seen earlier. It may have been a NA 99-01 look alike, but either way I was happy, pulling it like a freight train.:D By the way this was with 18 psi.

Originally posted by JDSfastGN
I asked if it was an 03 and he said yes. I told him I really didn't hear the blower whine and he replied with something that I couldn't make out.
"It's just a base model 'stang."
j/k ;) Great kill.

lol Oh it was definalty an 8, it sounded pretty good;) But I have seen those base stangs that try to be a cobra

Good one.

Nice kill..

..It seems a lot of 03 cobra's are limited to how good a driver is or is not, like any other manual car. Although with your mod's a stock one would not be a problem with 18 psi. There is a video floating around ls1.com of a relatively stock ls1 pulling and 03 cobra, so I guess anything is possible..

Thanks guys, Blackshoebox, i saw that video as well. Some 03s just seem stronger than others, and the weight kills them. I was just happy because, my main goal was to be able to take a near stock one convincingly with my new combo in street trim and so far it has been true. I hope to run into more and have some close runs as well.

For a while everyone seemed to be afraid of them, but I think the taboo has worn off, wouldn't ya say? I mean there were guys runnin mid 11's that were uneasy about runnin' one. I know my GN wouldn't keep up, but still.....:o just another stang.

hey, I seen an '03 Cobra at the local track twice this year. First time it was like 45 degrees out and it ran 12.75 at 111 not bad. The second time it was 60 degrees out and it ran 12.71 at 113 still not bad. Both times, wasn't sure if it had slicks or not. I was there to watch the TRs run. The are good base cars to modify, I hope we don't have to put the 101 Turbo on our cars. We just can't have a Wustang whizing by us now can we.

Remember; street racing is dangerous:confused: I dont' know why, it's fun as hell! :D

i have seen a handful of 03 cobras around here but i have never even gotton close to getting into a race with them...one was going the other way and another one was stuck in traffic with me...no open road to play with...also had a 03 viper along side me the other day here but again traffic was too heavy...it was a woman driver too :eek:

Originally posted by 2 QK 4 U

Remember; street racing is dangerous:confused: I dont' know why, it's fun as hell! :D

actually i believe as long as you are smart about it and aren't a stupid ricer idiot then street racing is ok...you just have to do it with no traffic around you and on a long stretch of open road...it's all how smart you are about things that makes things safe or not safe...

Dunno how true this is but ... a friend helped his bud modify a new 03 cobra.

$5K invested. New blower / injectors.

The $5K didnt include the auto trans he put in.

Didnt wanna break n e thing, only got a 2.10 60' but ran 9.90!

Hope i don run up against one o THEM soon! :rolleyes:

Yea they run. I saw one at the track w/ pully, exhaust, chip, headers and BFG drag radials run 11.30's at 121. Its like a modern TR.

Originally posted by DJay
Dunno how true this is but ... a friend helped his bud modify a new 03 cobra.

$5K invested. New blower / injectors.

The $5K didnt include the auto trans he put in.

Didnt wanna break n e thing, only got a 2.10 60' but ran 9.90!

Hope i don run up against one o THEM soon! :rolleyes:

Not likely - chalk it up to a wanna-be trying to copy off of Pete Miniski's (sp) 9.9x 03 Cobra. That particular car has an Auto Trans (like this story), blower swap (like this story), other bolt-on mods, etc - though it is in NJ, and goes A LOT quicker than a 2.10 60 ft. In fact, to go 9.90 with that 60 ft would likely require a 150+ mph car.

That said, some more "mortal" folks are starting to get into the 10's now with what we commonly call "bolt-ons" - most retainig the IRS (first thing I'd swap if I had one). Being a manual, driving has a LOT to do with it, of course.

Like any factory forced-induction car....its very easy to make fast, and not very expensive (to make fast - its certainly not a cheap car).

Bob,
In case you're interested...
Pete's car makes it out on the street quite often, particularly late at night. ;)

S.

9.90 street driven car for under 45K but better yet doesn't sound like to much after purchase price...YIKEESSS I knew the bricks could fly but this is getting ridiculas......;)

YUPPERS.....

A buddy of mine did that one night at the track. He has an 81 Camaro that is probably in the Top-5 fastest in our area. He just walked it out then grabbed everything. He ended up running a 10.85 at a tick under 154MPH!!:eek: It was running consistent 9.00's at the time. ABSOLUTELY amazing!! Sitting in the stands all I heard was these "Ricer" guys going "Man...a big burnout and all that noise to leave that slow?" Then I had to point out that MPH to them. Funny they made THAT comment when I say that ALL THE TIME about loud ass non-moving imports!!:rolleyes:

Back