You can type here any text you want

ran a v-12 mercedes from a roll

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

trbogn

I just got home for spring break and decided to take my car out for a stroll. I was using my new joe lubrant chip, 100 octane, and about 17 pounds fo boost. I came up along side a sweet v-12 mercedes sl-600 sport with huge chrome rims and rid beside him for a while going around 45. Once traffic cleared up a bit I gave it about 1/2 throttle and let off just to see if he would take the bait. Well, he did, and right when I let off he floors it and approaches fast. Once I noticed that he was flooring it his nose was just ahead of mine. I floored it again and the turbo took a little bit to spool. When my turbo spooled his rear bumper was at my nose. Thats when I started to reel him in. I kept pullin until we got nose to nose. Not too sure how fast we were going, but I think around 90-100 or so. then we both let off cause of approaching traffic. He gave me a thumbs up and smiled at me. That race really got the blood flowing. Just knowing that you are racing a six figure car is pretty cool. That car pulled really hard. I was surprised. Do you guys know what times these cars run?? What a nice way to start the break!!!!!!!

adam isadore

http://87buickgrandnational.homestead.com/adamsgn.html

well I just looked up in road and track the specs of that 2 seater mercedes. It has a 6.0 liter 48 valve v-12 that puts out 390 horsepower. List price was $145,000. God, what a sweet ride. Does anyone know what these cars run in the 1/4 mile?????

St Charles??!!:eek: ?! I'm in Woodstock(when I'm home from college). We should meet up sometime dude. Where'd you race the Mercedes? Randal? I love racing on that road. Hardly any cops to catch you:cool: --later

My question is???

Originally posted by trbogn
well I just looked up in road and track the specs of that 2 seater mercedes. It has a 6.0 liter 48 valve v-12 that puts out 390 horsepower. List price was $145,000. God, what a sweet ride. Does anyone know what these cars run in the 1/4 mile?????

What kinda f'n torque does that thing make? I wonder if its a torquey bitch like a 3.8?

Better yet what does it weigh?

If that car weighs about 2800-3000#'s with a 390 horse V-12 and a 3.8 Buick in a 3500# car can run em with no problems.......

WTF am I saying, Buicks are the sh*t, like I didn't know they could do something like that.

But all in all $145,000 to less than $15,000 I say its damn good!

be careful

Benz is built for the autobahn. Mine rides better at 145mph than 45mph. Mines also a v6 rated around 220hp at the rear wheels. Second gear is sick. If you can find the powerband, which most Benz owners can't cause their old retired women, you'll take most cars. Any mustang but the cobra is a joke for me, easy money. The guy driving the v12 didn't know what the hell he's doing cause a sl600 is right there with an amg55. He should have laid waste with very very high tech vehicle. Oh by the way Mercedes was the first production car company with gasoline combustion few due it better - just look at daytona, lemans, and other speed endurance events. Your kidding yourself if you think you can spend 1/10 to 1/20 the $$ and still be in the same game. Maybe he missed a gear or was talking on his cell phone:D

I really dont think that I would be kidding myself if I thouhgt my car is faster then this mercedes. I know for a fact my car is faster then this mercedes in the 1/4 mile. My car was set up to about a high 12/low 13 second tune. These sl-600's weigh 4,500 pounds and take 5.9 seconds for 0-60 mph. A completely stock GN could beat those numbers. Now why would I be kidding myself to think my car is faster then this car?? I do know however that at much higher speeds, this car would hang me out to dry, considering that my car would probably start to fly or something. haha. I am only talking about straight line acceleration, cuase I know the benz would out perform my GN with everything else, ie. braking, handling, etc. So I dont think that this benz is as unbeatable as you crack it up to be. Sure its a sweet ride, but in no way should you be surprised that a 12 second GN could keep up and gain ground on this ride. After all, my car does produce over 460 ft/lbs of torque at the rear wheels and wieghs 1000 pounds less then this benz. :D Oh yea, a mustang is pretty much a joke for anything that has 4 wheels. ;)

close race to 40mph

I know it would be close race to 40, the gn could probably even have some ground on the sl600 with extra heavy rims:) The numbers you quote are extremely conservative:rolleyes: as to not scare off the conservative buyers. Bottom line: that is a supercar, can hit 60mph in under 5 seconds, High to mid 12's in the 1/4, redlines close to 8k rpm. Yes, GN's rule the 1/4. You can mod a sl600 with renntech or brabus,etc.etc. and get into the 11's without shaving any creature comforts and be alot safer. I know these cars exist here in AZ and definately CA. Probably not as common in WI. You've got as much as a chance of dustin' the sl600 as you do a Z06. Road&Track rules but not always accurate with the ratings. I check out pics of your car and it is one awesome machine - But you average 13's with very high octane. You would never take ground at 45mph. :eek: especially with him having the roll on you. That was a good story though.

Re: close race to 40mph

Originally posted by Chad Oliver
You've got as much as a chance of dustin' the sl600 as you do a Z06.

GN's and TR's aren't far off from the ZO6. 405 horse, in a 3000# car, really wouldn't be much for a GN to take, with the right mods and a good driver, many things are possible with a TR.

that is very hard to belive that you say the car runs a mid/high 12, and magazines say it runs a 14.3. I am sorry, but 390 flywheel horsepower at 4500 pounds (a low ball figure) does not equal mid 12 second timeslips. That does not make much sense. If it is such a "supercar" as you say, why would they underrate its performance nearly 1.5 seconds??? I still dont understand why you dont think a high 12 second GN could take this mercedes in the 1/4 mile. My car produces about the same horsepower and lots more torque (420 ft/lbs at the flywheel for the mercedes, and 460 ft/lbs at the rear wheels for my GN) and my car wieghs 1000 pounds less. I also find it funny that you insist my race is just a "story." All I know is that this guy had the jump on me, going about 45 mph, and his bumber was about at my nose and I caught up to him. I didn't pass him, but I did catch even with him. I believe you that the mercedes would kill me after the 1/4 mile, cuase that is what those cars are built to do. All that I am saying is that I would beat this car in a 1/4 mile race, and that my story is not as far fecthed as you think. Not much else I can say. Also, those timeslips from my website are pretty old. Although a few runs were in the 13's, my mph was 107, which says a lot more then a smokey 13 second et, since this race was from a roll and all.

Re: close race to 40mph

I know it would be close race to 40, the gn could probably even have some ground on the sl600 with extra heavy rims:) The numbers you quote are extremely conservative:rolleyes: as to not scare off the conservative buyers. Bottom line: that is a supercar, can hit 60mph in under 5 seconds, High to mid 12's in the 1/4, redlines close to 8k rpm. Yes, GN's rule the 1/4. You can mod a sl600 with renntech or brabus,etc.etc. and get into the 11's without shaving any creature comforts and be alot safer. I know these cars exist here in AZ and definately CA. Probably not as common in WI. You've got as much as a chance of dustin' the sl600 as you do a Z06. Road&Track rules but not always accurate with the ratings. I check out pics of your car and it is one awesome machine - But you average 13's with very high octane. You would never take ground at 45mph. :eek: especially with him having the roll on you. That was a good story though.

After reading your post, I just had to reply. You should go back and check the archives, I raced a black Mercedes Sl600 awhile back and it was over before it started! I pulled up next to the guy at a red light he looks over at my car and sticks his nose up in the air I guess he thought his s*#$% didn't stink. He took off from the light pretty hard and was out about 2 car lengths so I said what the hell and stomp on it, by the time I hit second I had him by 2 car lengths and stretching the lead!

So don't tell me about your so called super car, it ain't ****!
And for the kind of money they cost I can build 10 TR's to kick your @$$!!

:mad:

Alright guys....lets not get all testosterone-charged in here! They are cars, nothing else.

Someone can call BS whenever they want to, but lets face it, the laws of physics do not lie. Look at the Lightning- ~4400 lbs and 380hp/450ft.lbs tq- runs about a 13.3 in the quarter. The benz or whatever is close to that weight and power, so I say NO 12s for that car. BUT, yes, it would have put the TR to shame past 120mph.

Oliver, what a trip! TRBOGN, I know you could take snot-nosed in the MB in the 1/4, and at top end. New German cars are limited to 155 mph, and won't go any faster. German govt. is trying to limit autobahn speeds. A modded TR will go faster. Connecticut State Troopers ran basically (but not) stock TR's when they were new, and a member of our community used to perform the maintenance on those cars at his shop. The troopers were always looking for a little more speed, as they liked to see who amongst them had the faster ride. I heard these guys would be running 160-165 in the wee hours of the morning for kicks. A little suspension work and good tires, and you're there. Then you can show the guys in the MB's that money can't buy everything.

Awesome T - I agree your comment about the Connecticut State Troopers. Spoke with a trooper at the big E back in the day('87) about which car he preferred stang or gn. He said gn hands down was faster in acceleration and top end.

Back then if a black buick would show up looking for a little fun I would always be apprehensive; is it a cop or not. Some ran with black tinted windows hard to tell who was driving. :cool: They were known to egg on a race then pull ya over with a ticket for your trouble.

The Sl V12 is a sick car. I don't know how the hell it is that heavy, must be made of lead or something. However, Oliver
"Mines also a v6 rated around 220hp at the rear wheels. Second gear is sick." you sort of lost credibility. You ARE talking about the V12 one right?
It is a really nice car but for $145K I think I would get a Ferrari, Viper, 3 Z06's, used Lambo, 2 imported Skylines, or Saleens.
Oh well nice race by the way!

And unless they have a supercharger or a heads/cam package, just about any performance car can beat a Mustang.

sl600 is under 3900lbs . . . . it's a lightweight version of the s600. Does anyone own one here on the board? I've had a BMW850 w/ the v12, I know it's not as fast an sl600. With the v12 your always in the power band and they run smooth. I've read of several that have given a Diablo's a run for their money *see Latrel Sprewell racing. I would also like to point out to all the youngster that the GN new was not a cheap car for it's day. Maybe when your dad went and paid for your car and it's insurance he got an excellent value. Do you know how much it costs to maintain a used turbo v6? Alot $$ just look at all the members' who haven't had there cars running in years!

If you take off all your bolt on's and put some good old 91 octane you wouldn't be so arrogant. I enjoy having a forum to debate auto performance and could've , should've, would've. But I don't respect the anonymus children trying to insult people because they read something somewhere. I guess when you put down the textbooks and get out into the real world you'll eventually learn that "figures lie and liers figure"

I speak from 2nd gear experience in the E @ 6700 rpm. Never been able to get my GN that high without tearing something up. Also TurboGn didn't beat the Benz in his "12 second car" Awesome T , I think it's time to throw out the bong and let the smoke clear.

I know a guy who owns a rentech v12 mercedes. this car is not your average car. This guy takes it out on weekends when he does not want to take his LPE twin turbo vettes out, or his vipers to race, this car is FAST.. It has to run mid 11's, his is very souped up. He takes it out and races guys with mustangs for money, It is always a funny scene to see a big body mercedes woop the crap out of some punk in a mustang! Granted the fact, I could beat a mustang in my wheelie popping lawn mower, but that's another story! LOL

If you take off all your bolt on's and put some good old 91 octane you wouldn't be so arrogant. I enjoy having a forum to debate auto performance and could've , should've, would've.

Holy crap, do you even read what you type?

First you say, "If you take off all your bolt on's....", then you complain about the could'ves, should'ves. WTF? The bolt on's - and the way the GNs respond to them are what made the GN's legendary. So it's not a legit kill if you're modded? :rolleyes:

If I have to take off all my bolt-ons and run 91 octane, then he has to run me in a C-class. Fair is fair, right? There's countless ways this could've gone down, but the reality is you run whatchya brung and he brought a $145k car that couldn't keep up with a 15 year old Buick. It's quite believable.

Jim

Back