You can type here any text you want

Rarest car?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

T- Type Tim

Vice Chairman
adff.jpg
as.jpg
ggddv.jpg
sdsw.jpg
adff.jpg

This is the car that in 1954 could have "killed" the Corvette. So, Chevrolet, being GM's big sales and profit division, campaigned to GM to "kill" this car.

When Chevy was coming out with its 6-cyl. sports car with its 2-speed "powerglide" transmission and side curtains, here was a sports car from Olds with a big old V-8 and power windows.

So, GM said "no" to Oldsmobile on building this car. The world's rarest automobile: a 1954 Concept Old's Rocket F88 - the only one in existence. (read the story below)
John S. Hendricks, (Discovery Communications founder) paid in excess of $3 million to acquire this 1954 Oldsmobile F-88 Convertible Concept Car. After spending decades as a collection of parts stuffed into wooden crates, the F-88 was reassembled.

In 1954, the F-88 was a Motorama Dream Car, and was one of only two, or an unconfirmed possible three, ever created. The F-88 seen here is literally the only car left of its kind, and was sold to John and Maureen Hendricks at the prestigious Barrett-Jackson Auto Auction in Scottsdale , Arizona , for an unbelievable $3,240,000.
This acquisition made automotive history, and is the cornerstone of the Gateway Colorado Automobile Museum , in its own special room in a rotating display,
worthy of the F-88!

how is that the "rarest" car? it never made it into production, and every car maker has built hundreds of one off concept cars that never made it to production for any number of different reasons.

But that one went for 3,240,000:D . I wonder if that car even had a title? Most one off cars didnt have vin numbers.
The bat mobile beat the price of this one

I think its rare because if it would have gotten built, like T-Type Tim said, it would have kicked the corvettes ass and gm didnt want that. Just think if it would have been produced the evolution of the vette could have been a lot different than it is now. Olds would have been the ones with the american sport car that the turbo buicks would have been smoking. LOL!

I have heard gm built the zr1 because of the gn. I wonder if its true

Did you ever see Hendricks car collection? He has some nice stuff. I think he owns Discovery channel or founded it.They mentioned it when he bought the car.

I have heard gm built the zr1 because of the gn. I wonder if its true

why would they build a badass Corvette and release it 2 years after the GN was discontinued if it was supposed to upstage it?
they built the ZR1 because they wanted to build a world class super car on the Corvette chassis and learn about working with dual overhead cams in production form.
the LT5 was (and still is) a beast of an engine, but expensive to build and hard to package in other chassis compared to the pushrod engines that GM had coming along- first with the LT1/Lt4 engines and then the LS1 that came out in the 97 Corvette and every different version of it that's come out since then- including the new direct injected LT1 and it's derivatives that will show up in everything from Corvettes to Camaros to cop cars to pickups and vans over the next couple of years.

hello; I like that car. Did you see what the original Batmobile went for on Barret Jackson? Wow!! and from what I was watching there was two people that wanted it. They flipped a coin for the car. 4.2 millian was the final price. POW! as the TV show use to have as a comment when fighting the bad guys.
IBBY

I remember watching that car sell at Barrett Jackson a while back.. it was quite the bid war. Ive always read that the Bugatti Royale aka the Type 41 was the worlds rarest with 6 produced out of the expected 25 from 1927 to 1933. Its defiantly an interesting car and apparently it was produced only for the worlds royalties at the time.
royale-1.jpg

I remember watching that car sell at Barrett Jackson a while back.. it was quite the bid war. Ive always read that the Bugatti Royale aka the Type 41 was the worlds rarest with 6 produced out of the expected 25 from 1927 to 1933. Its defiantly an interesting car and apparently it was produced only for the worlds royalties at the time.View attachment 180707

damm thats one UGLY car !!! BUT beauty is in the eye of the beholder :rolleyes:

Pontiac made a concept based on the C1 Vette chassis at the time as well. Barrett Jackson had that one on the block a few years back too. If you look at that one you can see where they got the design for the Solstice from.

Back