Raw fuel pouring out of exhaust

TurboTnZ06

Go on red!
I put stabil in the tank with maybe 5 gallons of GT100 in March when I pulled the engine for a rebuild.

What would be your guess? There is a 3 ft x 1 ft puddle of Sunoco GT100 on the floor everytime I try to start it.

Swapped plugs, wires, coil pack, ECU, chip from my working GN. No codes on scanmaster. TPS is .46v. Set the cam sensor 25 ATDC. I discovered the neat trick of a rachet on the alternator to spin this around since the SLIC prevents me from access to the crank bolt. It starts up just fine, but runs very rough. If I move the cam sensor out of the window it won't start, so its not the cam sensor. Spark is there as I put a plug on the fender and watch the blue spark fire away. Cylinder #2 runs very cold, I can touch the header, but the other cylinders run hot to the touch. I assume those are firing and #2 isn't.

If I try to give it gas it stumbles to raise rpm and is very rough but it does increase rpm but not much. I shut if off because the amount of fuel spraying out of the turbo is a lot and I don't want a fire.

I'm going to remove the GenII translator and go back to a working stock maf and see if it helps. I've never seen fuel shoot out like this before. Could multiple injectors stuck wide open cause this? I pulled the wire off #2 injector but the fuel still shot out when I started it up- it actually didn't sound like it ran any different then before either, very choppy like a huge cam.

If it starts easily, that means the cam and crank sensors are working properly.

I think I'll just keep pulling injector wires until the fuel stops pouring out to see if its one or more stuck open.

Plugs are Autolite 103 gapped .030 on GN1 heads.

FP is 43psi static.

Should I fill it up with pump 93 and try again if the gas went bad?

Pull the plugs to determine which injector(s) are sticking. Pull the injectors and send them out for a cleaning or replace them.

Well, I was going to go to 80# injectors soon anyways since the 60#'s won't be enough to feed this motor in race trim.

Dump that contanimated oil before you start the engine. :mad:

The voices in my head told me to buy 4 gallons of advance auto 10w30 when I dropped the motor in before I started it. Now I know why they told me that. Going for a 3rd oil change tonight and the car hasn't even got to run more than a few seconds.

Iv'e seen this happen with a shorted wire on the injector harness.???

Yeah its all coming out tonight to inspect out of the car. I'll also go through the harness to see if anything got pinched or yanked out when I put the engine in. It was a tight fit with the GN1 valve covers battling the hydroboost and A/C all attached going in. Still excited to get this Cruz Missile built stroker 109 tuned and running for THS this fall. Thinking now is the time to go with a Weldon 2015, 80# injectors TT chip before considering XFI.

Did you try to reset the GEN2? Mine lost memory over the winter (and at a car show 2 weeks ago). The user settings were unchanged, but other settings were. Reset and put all your info in, and see what ut does. I think to reset you push the up button when the unit first powers up when you turn the key on. Hold it for 15 secs, it will say reset when done. It is either the up button or the page button, I can't remember.

Did you try to reset the GEN2? Mine lost memory over the winter (and at a car show 2 weeks ago). The user settings were unchanged, but other settings were. Reset and put all your info in, and see what ut does. I think to reset you push the up button when the unit first powers up when you turn the key on. Hold it for 15 secs, it will say reset when done. It is either the up button or the page button, I can't remember.

I only went through and made sure it was set to LT1 3" input and Stock GN Maf output, I didn't check any other settings since I didn't need to tweak it when I put it in back in '08. Even if it was out of whack, it couldn't possibly cause this much fuel to be unburnt.

There are alot of settings in the GEN2. Most you are not instructed to change. Those are the ones that went out of whack on mine. I just went through it with mine. Trust me, reset it, go through the instructions and re-enter the user adjustments.

There are alot of settings in the GEN2. Most you are not instructed to change. Those are the ones that went out of whack on mine. I just went through it with mine. Trust me, reset it, go through the instructions and re-enter the user adjustments.

I'll check the other settings to the manual, but I pulled the injector wire from #2 cylinder and tons a fuel was still shooting out when I fired it up, leading me to believe that injector is stuck open. The header on #2 is ice cold and the others hot. I just went and bought 80# injectors and TT chip since the 60's were too small for the target 1/4 mph anyways.

I'll check the other settings to the manual, but I pulled the injector wire from #2 cylinder and tons a fuel was still shooting out when I fired it up, leading me to believe that injector is stuck open. The header on #2 is ice cold and the others hot. I just went and bought 80# injectors and TT chip since the 60's were too small for the target 1/4 mph anyways.

Ground is the "active" signal to the injectors. Are you sure you don't have a pinched wire (grounded).

Ground is the "active" signal to the injectors. Are you sure you don't have a pinched wire (grounded).

I fiddled with the injector wires on the car and didn't feel anything pinched. How would I test the harness for a grounding situation- with a volt meter? Is there a way to bench test an injector to see if it opens/closes or if its stuck?

Update- the #2 injector was all green and crusty inside where it fit into the rail. I suspect it is corroded inside. The car has sat for nearly 2 years - paint and engine. This was the cylinder causing the problems. I dropped in new 80# injectors and will test tomorrow. All wiring looked good.

New injectors was it. Fired up the first time. Going to change the oil again now that I got it up to temp for the first time ever. Might actually get it on the road this afternoon!

Good to hear it was the injectors Jim, a lot easier and cheaper than tearing into the motor. What are you goals with the new motor?

Good to hear it was the injectors Jim, a lot easier and cheaper than tearing into the motor. What are you goals with the new motor?

Just going to cruise around with it, but THS racing is what its built for. Should hit 110 mph in the 1/8th mile eventually:biggrin: