You can type here any text you want

Re-torque of Felpro's H/G's?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

lnkncontiverto

Feel my Pacifists-of-Fury
I have a set of 9441's going in and I heard the other day that these do not need to be re-torqued after a few heat cycles, which is contrary to what I've been led to believe.

Is this info all wet, or does it ring true?

Thanks!

I never did with them and never really had a problem. I went in 15 lb increments till they were at 85#s with 30 weight oil and let them sit overnight and loossened a 1/4 turn and retighten'd. I usually repeated one more time and called it good. Many passes of 122-126 in two separate cars.

There is NO downside to retorque.

Unless you're using stock TTY bolts.

In theory the 9441"s don't need a re-torque. I personally would re-torque if you're using ARP hardware. If you're using factory style TTY bolts I would consider verifying you still have your 60 ft-lbs on them but I would NOT break them loose and re-torque unless you're going to use new bolts. Another thing to consider is that if you retorque bolts you're going to break the seal on the threads that enter the water jacket. Probably won't be an issure but you might consider throwing a seal-tab or two in if you do re-torque.

I probably should have mentioned that I have ARP studs holding the heads down, so no worries about TTY or breaking the seal.

I didn't think there would be a downside to re-torqing these, I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't a good reason not to re-torque. Also, If there was absolutely no benefit, than I would just as soon have saved the effort.

IMHO, here's what I recommend. If you're using head BOLTS, DO NOT retorque (could have a negative effect on the thread sealer).

If you're using head STUDS, Then retorqueing is a good thing. (your not messing with the thread sealer).

I can't tell you how many head bolt seapage issues I've seen on engines that were running BOLTS that had been retorque'd.

Good point and very true in that aspect that is a downside if your sealer has cured.

This is the main reason I use Permatex#2 since its non drying and stays pliable.

Back