You can type here any text you want

Reading list / book list

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

V8KILLR

2speed 1day fast & faster
Also in the Lounge room.

Hello all,
I’m starting my Stage II project. It is going to take me I’d say 2 – 4 years to have the car back at the track. I would like to do as much as I can myself. The reason for posting as the topic states is I’d like to have a reading list of books and articles to read. I recently finished my degree in Mechanical Engineering at U of MD at College Park. Therefore, I’d like to know the theory and the hands on. A book on the process of building this type of project, as in a sequence, would be GREAT. I had a post about a year ago talking about combustion and chemical properties i.e. octant rating. I wish I could find the post and the name of the book. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Best regards,
Jason

"Combustion", by Irwin Glassman, ISBN: 0122858522 , about $95 at amazon.com. All you ever wanted to know about the chemistry of combustion and how different octane enhancers function. Charles Taylor also has a two volume set called something like The Internal Combustion Engine. It's kind of old, and may be out of print by now, but he covers the basics of engines including some on boost vs. compression ratio, timing vs. compression ratio, etc. There are a lot of good old articles from NACA, the predecessor to NASA, on combustion, water/alcohol injection, knock detection, etc, that are online as scanned pdf's. I forget the url but any search should find it easily.

Carl,
Glad that I was able to recover that info, THANKS!!! I just jumped on and have that book on order. Any more to recomend? How out dated is the other book that you spoke of?

Thanks again,
Jason

Does any one know if there are any good books out there about CAM selection, with if possible a focus on forced induction engines?

Thanks,
Jay

You're welcome, Jason. I'm sure Taylor's books are in the library at UMD; why not look them over and decide for yourself? Jay, David Vizard has a couple of books on how to build chevy small block cylinder heads and how to build valve trains, that have some good info on camshafts. I forget the exact titles. They are paperbacks for about $15 each. The head book has some nice stuff on porting, and the valve train book has a few pages each on cams for nitrous, supercharged and turbocharged motors. He talks about a cam he had ground with some fairly radical event timing compared to "normal" cams that supposedly idled great and made bunches of power on a turbo small block, but I've never seen anyone else try anything close. A friend tried to put the specs into desktop dyno but it wouldn't take it. I don't know of any other books offhand that I'd recommend.

Thanks Carl,
I guess the big picture is that I’m trying to fill my brain with as much info as I can. I’d like to make as little mistakes as I can in building my Stage II project. I’m between a rock and a hard place, don’t have the money to pay some one to do it for me, nor would I want that if I could and don’t know how to do the project. Billy Anderson has been very helpful with giving me some info. I do feel like I need a complete list of what to do. I know that there are of course many different combos, and a lot of the time it comes down to a personal call. But I really don’t know how to go about this. No idea what my sequence is. If you have any info on this line of question, or some one else to talk to who can lead me along, that would be GREAT!!!

Jason

P.S. I think I’m going to put up another post in the Stage II sec more about these questions.

A little advise stay away from the general reading books and get in depth books: lingenfelter has a very good book for chevys,smokey Unic also has a power manual.;)

As far as Stage II Buicks go, get the Buick Powersource Book (circa 1985) and the Buick Stage II V6 Racing Engine (small booklet) by Dave Emmanuel, with most info by Jim Ruggles. Other than that, read this board and talk to the pro's who frequent it: Bill Anderson, Pete Barton (ANS), PTE, Duttweiler's, et al.
These guys have made upwards of 1400 HP with a 274, and have been there/done that. JMHO. There are a lot more guys who can also help out: mere mortals :D like Kendall, Neal (750 HP V6), Geno....

I wouldn't try to figure out how to revolutionize the Buick V6 by reading old theoretical books or Chebbie experts. And IMHO, the "combustion" issue has already been worked out by the engineers who designed the 20-years-ahead-of-its-time Stage II head. Good luck! It's gonna be a lot of fun.

Back