You can type here any text you want

Rear Brake drum setup question....

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turboc87gn

Darkside in Detroit
End of last summer i took the gn out and when i spooled her up and let her go i managed to twist up my backing plate and wheel cylinder...Crazy thing id my dad did the same thing on his 69 gs 455 but he was doing a driveway burnout with sticky tires.....I was thinking about going rear disk but i read a thread where the guy from bear brakes that most street strip cars do a front conversion and keep the shoes in the rear due to better holding power from a larger surface area....So how are you guys makin these shoes work holdin boost for launches i already have a line loc...:confused:

I was thinking about going rear disk but i read a thread where the guy from bear brakes that most street strip cars do a front conversion and keep the shoes in the rear due to better holding power from a larger surface area....So how are you guys makin these shoes work holdin boost for launches i already have a line loc...:confused:

I am currently thinking about going with a 4 wheel disc brake system. The stock drum brakes are inadequate in stopping the car at 140 mph at the end of the track, as well as being inadequate for holding the car at the line under high boost. That's the main reason why I want a four wheel disc system but with some dual caliper rear brakes similar to the one pictured below so I can launch the car at high boost levels (like if using a trans-brake). I know that Baer and Aerospace have such systems, but haven't decided yet which ones I'll get.
As for a line lock, it's not meant to hold the car under boost but rather to lock the front brakes while doing the burnout...

Claude.

Well i only mentioned the line loc because i know the line loc removes the stress of overcoming the rear brakes during the burnout from the equation...Ive see the dual caliper rear setups but im wondering about all the guys that kept thier rear drums how are they making them live? At what point would discs be the only option? Ultimately i want my car to be a mid tens mostly street sometimes strip car....140 is like a high nines car correct?

Well i only mentioned the line loc because i know the line loc removes the stress of overcoming the rear brakes during the burnout from the equation...Ive see the dual caliper rear setups but im wondering about all the guys that kept thier rear drums how are they making them live? At what point would discs be the only option? Ultimately i want my car to be a mid tens mostly street sometimes strip car....140 is like a high nines car correct?

Well you're right about the line lock removing some stress...it allows you to a good burnout while saving the rear brakes as only the front brakes remain applied during the burnout...
As for some dual rear calipers, they're becoming necessary (at least for me) as some of the local tracks where I'm from, do not allow the use of a trans brake in certain bracket classes, so I'll need as much brake holding power as I can get at the line to build up boost!...The stock drum setup just doesn't do the job anymore. And like I said in my previous message, when I get at he end of the track at speeds nearing 140 mph, it's also important to have the best braking system as possible to come to a safe stop. I'm currently running high 9's.

Claude.:smile:

Well my car will be a street strip car and im plannin on mid tens on e85 when its on kill!!! Im thinkin the drums may still be sufficient but i dunno i just dont wanna waste $ buyin backing plates and redoing the rears if im just gonna tear them up again lol!!

Back