You can type here any text you want

Rear disc from 85 Eldorado to 85 my 7.5" 10 bolt

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

veltboy618

I been wanting to do a rear disc swap on my car & I found a 1985 Cadillac Eldorado with rear disc brakes at a local salvage yard so i can probably get everything I need for cheap. Both rotors which are the same bolt pattern & calipers are there & the proportioning valve but I dont know if I need that or not. I have read about people using these parts to do a rear disc swap but never seen pics after it was finished or heard any feedback after the conversion was complete. Is this a pretty good kit to put on my 7.5" rear end & what brackets will need to mount everything?

been there... easy conversion

Velt,

A simple answer to your question is yes.. it can be done. I did a rear disk conversion to my 85 using cadillac rotors, calipers, and pads. Now, for brackets, go to Scarebird Classic Brakes LLC. They have the rear brackets for $105.00 plus shipping. Brackets are water-jet cut and work awesome. The only thing you will have to do once you collect the parts is this:

- Remove all the drum brake stuff. I mean all the way down including the backing plate.

- Machine your axle flanges down a little so the rotor hat can slide over the axle flange.

- Purchase 2 front brake hoses for our cars to use in the rear (I used stainless steel braided lines)

- If you want to, you will need to get emergency brake cables made for the car. stock cable cannot be used due to how they mount on the caliper.

- Purchase a adjustable proportioing valve (mine is a Summit Brand) and tie that into your line feeding the rear brakes. Original proportioning valve is too much and will lock up your rear end. I mounted mine on the frame so I can just reach under there to adjust.

Let me know if you have any additional questions. I am happy to help!

Chris

I assume you have a G-body car, and if so, the flange your backing plate bolts to should be the same as on a GN. If so, the 12" LS1 brakes is a pretty straightforward installation, and you don't need to purchase any brackets. You can get all you need off of any 98 thru 02 Camaro donor.

Attachments

• Picture 266.jpg
    Picture 266.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 406
  • Picture 268.jpg
    Picture 268.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 505
I assume you have a G-body car, and if so, the flange your backing plate bolts to should be the same as on a GN. If so, the 12" LS1 brakes is a pretty straightforward installation, and you don't need to purchase any brackets. You can get all you need off of any 98 thru 02 Camaro donor.

Boy that looks familiar John.:biggrin: Did the same thing and found out you can use parts off the S-10 Blazer as well. You put a 1/4" spacer between the backing plate and the axle mount after you modify it. Lots of info on converting to rear discs on here. Just do some searching.:biggrin:

Attachments

• DSCN0002.jpg
    DSCN0002.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 366
I just did the jimmy blazer dual piston caliper conversion on the front of my GN, But just want to make sure I get the correct stuff for the rear. It seems that I saw on another post that the 12" may be just a bit to big for 15" rims. I have the 15" Weld Pro Stars and just want to make sure. But thanks to all that are contributing info. Thanks again for any heads up and corrections on my part.

Back