Rear disc swap

TRFanatic

Hey all,

does anyone know if there are any vehicles that we can do a straight swap of the rear discs onto our cars??

thanks alot,

Ravi

None that I have found. I have seen some aftermarket brakets on Ebay that allow Cadilac calipers to be used, and similar brackets with complete kits for other models (early Chevelles, etc).

Tom

Try a '79 Caddy Seville or Trans Am w/the WS6 option. They are far and few between. For the price it is hard to beat the Baer setup.

Caddy and T/A wont be a bolt in. Because of the Direct - Torque type drum brakes the axle mounting flange is unique to the drum brakes only. The axle flanges need to be modified to a conventional 4-bolt style flange. If I remember right there is not enough material to redrill the flange for the 4-bolt caliper brackets.

Eric Fisher

Check out Wilwood or Baer Brakes. Both make kits for our cars. Cross drilled and vented is also an option. Oh, and they also make front kits too. I am in the process of saving up for Baer.

Nick

i heard the the impala ss rear discs bolt right on to our rears not sure thou had a freind of mine that did it but dont know what mods he did

Using oem brakes requires either modifying the existing axle flange OR reflanging the rear using the old standard GM 4 bolt flange. Going back to 1964, there are have been 2 sizes of 4 bolt flanges. A small pattern used on most intermediate and smaller passenger cars and a large pattern used on fullsize cars and 1/2 ton fullsize trucks. The G bodies started using a unique flange in 1978 that is tall. It has 2 small 6 or 7mm screws at the bottom and uses the spring anchor to retain the top of the drum brake backing plate.
The 82-92 drum brake F bodies used the same flange. The disc brake F bodies used the older small 4 bolt flange. If you reflange the housing, then you could use oem stuff as long as it has a 4 3/4" stud bolt pattern. The Impala stuff wont work for 3 reasons:
The axle flange which the caliper bracket bolts to is the large pattern, the rotors are for a 5" stud pattern and the axle housing is slightly shorter to allow room for the parking brake assembly which mounts inside the rotor.
Best bet (and probably easiest) is to get a quality Baer racing set up. Jack Cotton is a dealer for them. Baer uses many OEM type pieces which allow you to purchase off the shelf pads and sometimes rotors; unlike Wilwood.