rear end fluid additive

SmokinJoes85GN

I picked up a bottle of GM's limited slip additive? Is that the stuff i need? Im also goning to run Mobil 1 synthetic fluid. What weight do i need to look for and, just to make sure I add 1.75 qts?

Mobil 1 synthetic Gear Lube only comes in one viscosity, and in its own tall taper-neck bottle. No way to miss it. :)

Originally posted by SmokinJoes85GN

I picked up a bottle of GM's limited slip additive? Is that the stuff i need?

Yup! Did you also get the replacement GM gasket for the differential cover? Also a great time to put in a magnetic drain plug.

HTH :)

Im picking the rear end gasket up when i get the fluid. Or do i need to get that from GM? Where can i get that magnetic plug your talking about? And thanks for the welcome! Im really excited about picking this car up. Ive been very interested in them since I was a little kid.

www.kirbanperformance.com has the magnetic plug for both trans & rear.

I'm sure NAPA's (or Advance or AutoZone) differential cover gaskets are equal to the GM...no worries there.

Enjoy driving your car every day if you can...that's all they're meant for. Hang on to the excitement you're feeling now, and try to not lose it if/when some "mystery-gremlin" chooses to try your patience down the road.

The SEARCH feature here accesses a wealth of info on practically any TR topic. www.gnttype.org is an online TR encyclopedia.

Boardmember UNGN has put the 86-87 TR Illustrated Parts Manual on CD, and boardmember Bandit has the GM Service Manual's TR sections on CD...$30-35 for both.

You're certainly wise doing all the maintenance first!

HTH :)