Rear end girdle

eagleguy

I was considering replacing my rear end cover on my 86 T Type with an aluminum one. I see that TA Performance and others sell a girdle cover and an additional stud kit. Is there any real benefit to the girdle if I am not racing the car?

Any recommendations on a nice standard aluminum cover with drain plug?

Last edited:
No but if you like the looks and want an aluminum cover why not. It's not prohibitively expensive. Just make sure you use a a sealer like ultra black RTV on the load bolts or they will seep fluid. Had to seal mine a year later because the seeping drove me crazy.

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message, however, a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

No but if you like the looks and want an aluminum cover why not. It's not prohibitively expensive. Just make sure you use a a sealer like ultra black RTV on the load bolts or they will seep fluid. Had to seal mine a year later because the seeping drove me crazy.

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message, however, a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Its 3X as much. $189 with the studs

Its 3X as much. $189 with the studs
I didn't buy the cap studs. I didn't know what a regular aluminum cover with drain costs. $150ish seemed aweful reaonable to me for what it was.

That might be just what I was looking for. Why did you switch from the girdle? Does it come with the bolts and gasket?

I changed it 'cause I liked the turbo 6 and Buick logo. I felt I didn't need the girdle, so I removed it and sold it for the price of the Buick cover. I believe it comes with bolts and gasket. Check with gbody parts to be sure.

I changed it 'cause I liked the turbo 6 and Buick logo. I felt I didn't need the girdle, so I removed it and sold it for the price of the Buick cover. I believe it comes with bolts and gasket. Check with gbody parts to be sure.
Thanks I thought for my purpose the girdle was overkill. I checked the gbody parts site but saw no contact number.

cover comes with gasket and bolts so I ordered it. any idea of the proper weight for the rear end fluid and how much? I intend to add the GM additive.

Back