You can type here any text you want

Rear End Upgrade

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

msharkf2

I have a stock GN rear end that I would like to upgrade. I currently have it installed in my 86 Monte that has a SBC with about 550 hp. Im lookiing at installing a BBC into this car with a procharger that will be in the neighborhood of 1000 hp and probably 900lbs/ft of torque. What have you guys found to work for this power level. The car retains all of its interior and body panels so it weighs around 3600 lbs with the BBC. Thanks Mark

9" Ford ends, brakes, 35 spline axles, Detroit Locker, alum cover w/ support screws,, MW pinion yoke, weld the tubes into the center section. Once you do all that, you'll be right close to the cost of a 9".

Get rid of the stock rear end on that application and go with a 9" and be done. You may step up your Procharger to go even faster and you still wont have to worry about your rear end.

I got one point to make...doesn't matter how much torque engine puts out, it only matters how much you can get to the ground. Once tires start spinning, load on differential drops significantly.

I can tell you that Jack Cotton runs a GM rear. Sure, he has studs helping bearings stay in place and has a cover with pinion support and has strong axles. He has no problem with GM rear living under drag racing conditions (sticky track and sticky tires and GREAT weight transfer). I would go with Ford 9" only if you will be swapping ratios frequently. Otherwise, save your $'s.
Conrad

Back