You can type here any text you want

Rear Main Seal

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Ken Adams

I have a rear main seal that is in need of replacement. Is it necessary to pull engine to replace or can I replace with engine still in car?

I should be more specific. I have a 86 GN. Besides the oil pan, what else needs to be removed from engine before main seal can be replaced with engine in car?

Pull the motor mount pins, jack up the engine as far as it will go and pull the pan. Took me about 1/2 day last time I did it. Good luck :)

You dont have to raise the motor if the pan hits, the crank just needs to be turned.
Stagger the ends of the seals when your reinstall the neoprene wedge type so that the ends are over inside of the other cap that will help seal

I know this is old but I am in the process of doing mine. Any suggestions on these damn "rope"type seals somone put in?? Can't get the upper to come out. Have tried just about everything but dropping the crank down, lol

Just loosen the main caps enough to get you a little clearance, no need to take it completely out.

I know this is old but I am in the process of doing mine. Any suggestions on these damn "rope"type seals somone put in?? Can't get the upper to come out. Have tried just about everything but dropping the crank down, lol

I had the same problem. Take a fine thread screw, small and long and screw it into the rope seal. Then take a plyers and pull it out.

I had a hell of a time getting the oil pan off, as I would pull it back it would hit the flywheel. Had the motor loose and lifted. Also the oil pick up gave me some problems. A royal PITA and to top it off, it still leaks:mad:

Install the neoprene seal w/ an 1/8" offset.
I also put a thin smear of sealer on the parting faces of the rear main. This seals the chamfered edge openings, where the cap meets the block.
Going back together, I use dental floss to hold the gasket in place. Once all bolts are started, I cut the floss.

Since we are on this topic, where are you getting the seals from? Full Throttle only had 1 in stock & I need a few? Thanks!!

I normally get the seals from advance auto parts, autozone can get them also but they have raised their prices on most parts including these seals.

Since we are on this topic, where are you getting the seals from? Full Throttle only had 1 in stock & I need a few? Thanks!!

are the NAPA rear seals from FelPro ? I compared a FelPro beside a FT seal and there is a bit of a difference . The FT looks better constructed with a little heavier lip compared to the FelPro . I read somewhere the FT seals are from Cometic . Not sure . I just dropped off my stroker crank to be knurled today . I hope it will cure the rear main leakage problem I've had with this crank .

I figured mine blew cause not enough crank case ventalation...bought new one from cometic... and another v/cover vent.

If you have a rear main that you have changed a couple of times and it still leaks ,like mine ,try a vacume or smog pump system (search vacuum pumps) it will help crankcase run at a negative pressure when under boost...check racetronic site.....it helps

Hopefully somone will chime in soon man. Sorry I can't be of any help here.

Back