rear main

gn1220

Going to put a rear main seal in this week. Got all the info off of gn/t-type but I was wondering if there is anything else to be concerned with. Seems pretty easy but I only want to do it once. Also, do you know anybody in the K.C. area that can weld my header if it's cracked? TIA

did you get the neoprene style seal? i dunno what kind of oil you use or how many miles are on your car, but this will be a good time to see that if you did use a good oil(mobil 1 syn), all your money will have paid off:) when we took my motor apart at 80k miles after having used mobil 1 syn for the last 20k miles(my friend owned it before me, he doesnt konw whato oil was used before him), the internals looked friggin new. not a drop of gummed up crap anywhere in the motor..

Yes, I did get the neo seal and I do use Mobil 1. I have paid to have this seal replaced two times but I am going to try it myself now. Hopefully it won't leak again.

I'm planning on changing my rear main seal this week too.
I have a whole week off of work.

My driver's side exhaust manifold is cracked as well. How much more work is it to get that off once you have the crossover pipe gone?

Mike, are you pulling the motor? Or are you gonna drop the pan while the motors in the car? That sounds like fun!!!!!!!!! My ttype needs a rear main, a pan gasket, and valve cover gaskets........I think Im just gonna pull the whole motor :) Anyhow.......make sure you get the neo seal from autozone or whoever for your rear main seal. Also, call Bryan and ask him how to get in touch with Ed Brewer about welding your drivers side header. He did the header on my GN last year about this time. HTH, and good luck!!!!!!!1

Just finished mine this weekend, what a breeze. Just follow the tips in GN/type and it's a snap. Good Luck:D

Neil, I'm not going to pull the motor, don't have time. Just going to do the seal. I pulled the x-over pipe and the bolts were only finger tight! That might explain the slow boost! I will call Bryan and see about getting the header welded. Thanks!