You can type here any text you want

Rear wheel stud visible length?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BlackMetal

Ordered a pair of 1" thick wheel adapters for my rear wheels and when I pulled them out of the box I realized that 1" isn't very thick and started to worry that the rear wheel studs will stick out past the adapter and prevent the wheel from seating.

It's the coldest weekend yet in Chicago so I'm not about to go find this out for myself in the garage.

Anyone have an idea/guess how much of the wheel stud is sticking out past the brake drum? I could easily look up the length of the entire stock wheel stud but that measurement doesn't help me.

P.S. no need to lecture me about wheel adapters, I've used them before and had zero problems. I know must of you don't like them. ;)

if the stock studs are too long, just cut them off flush with the top of the lug nut, spray some black paint on it to prevent rust, and you are good to go. any threads that are sticking out past the hex part of the nut- which does all the work of holding it all together- is just extra mass, anyways.

The studs will stick out farther than an inch. If your wheels have a flat mounting surface then you will have a problem, but some wheels are indented there so you might not have a problem. I know guys that run the GTA rears in the front with 1" adapters and had to cut the studs short. I would measure for you, but my car is at the suspension shop for the weekend.

Put 3.5 inch long ARP studs in. That way you can bolt the spacer on, then bolt the wheel to the same stud :) That's my setup:biggrin:

Put 3.5 inch long ARP studs in. That way you can bolt the spacer on, then bolt the wheel to the same stud :) That's my setup:biggrin:

Not sure that's safe, haha.

But I need the wheel adapter because it changes the bolt pattern too, so that wouldn't work.

I checked my wheels already they don't have much space on the backside of the flange so the studs will hit if they're long enough. Guess I'll just chop 'em.

This is the reason I went with 1.25" spacers after taking a $30 loss on some 7/8" spacers I bought before. Kirban sells 1 1/8" inch spacers that would probably be perfect but he wants quite a bit for them unlike the ebay cheapos.

call ARP and ask them what they think of your setup, and why they think that..

:D :D :D

A bigger adapter would work but I think 1" will look the best, plus I'm too lazy to ship these back and I hate wasting money sending stuff back and forth. Maybe the void in the back of the wheel flange is deep enough for the studs to hide but I doubt it. Will trim them if necessary.

Back