You can type here any text you want

rearend/axle question.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Ziptie86

The scaffolding man!
Hey guys, I need to replace the wheel studs on GN. I was wondering how hard it would be to remove the axles so I can get some longer studs in there? Maybe a quick step by step. I know it has an auburn locker....so is there anything I need to know about it? or is it as simple as pulling the c-clip and removing the axle? ALso do I need to do remove any of the brake components? Thank you,

Jamin

theres a center pin going thru the posi unit and a little bolt going thru that pin sideways at one end of the pin

take the little bolt out and slide the center pin out then push the axles in a little bit and remove the clip from the axle in the middle where the pin was

once c-clip is off axle will slide right out

pretty easy

reds hot air is correct....a little thing that helps when removing the c-clips are a mag pickup tool.

Is it possible to remove the wheel studs without pulling the axle? I seem to remember that there is a hole in the brake backing plate just for this purpose. You have to line the stud up with the hole, then drive it back through the backing plate. But I may be remembering a different rear axle... my memory is a little cluttered.

There isn't a hole but you can slide the stud up through the brake shoes. I would pull the axles and press the new studs in on an arbor press that way you dont screw up the threads and stretch the studs.

Originally posted by Ormand
Is it possible to remove the wheel studs without pulling the axle? I seem to remember that there is a hole in the brake backing plate just for this purpose. You have to line the stud up with the hole, then drive it back through the backing plate. But I may be remembering a different rear axle... my memory is a little cluttered.
I have my 87's rear brakes apart -- there's not a hole but there is a fairly deep enclosed pocket or recess in the backing plate.

There is about 3" clearance betrween the axle flange and bottom of this pocket... it looks like even a 3" Lg stud would just fit.

Looking at the arrangement, it appears the studs "might" be removeable from a fully disassembled rear brake, by using a C-clamp to press down on the stud, and a short hollow "receiver" (a socket maybe) behind the axle flange, for the head of the stud to pop into. It would have to be a heavy duty C-clamp, with a wrenchable thread.

Snapon & Matco make tools for re-installing studs, although I suspect one could improvise with grade8 nut & some flat washers.

Back