You can type here any text you want

Rebuilt engine break in procedure

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

tta1401

Just wanted some thoughts on this. Heard a few different ways to do it. I thought I would ask here. (roller and non-roller please)

20 minutes running time at 2500RPM +,
very the RPM (rev it slightly) every 2 minutes...
After that she'll go or blow (rollor or flat tappet)

Good luck

The reason for the break in procedure on a flat tappet is because the cam is oiled by splash lubrication. Keeping the rpm up slings more lube on the cam and varying the rpm makes sure that the splash lube varies and actually hits the cam lobes uniformly.

I more concerned with the seating the rings. 30 to 60 mph 3/4 throttle blast, 2-3 times, wastegate open, was good. The rumor of "500 miles" is just not true.

Use dino oil and zddp. As mentioned run engine between 2 & 3 k rpm varying rpm some. Keep eye on water temp. Run for 30 minutes.
Even if its roller cam i change the oil after initial break in....refill with dino and zddp and go out and drive it. I like to put some boost 10 psi ish right away for the rings and cyl seating.

Its either right or wrong at this point......

Also when using new valve springs i let every thing cool to room temp before next drive after initial run in.mSeasons the springs IMO

First 3.8 build. I got a lot of time and money in this motor. I don't want to screw it up. I agree, its either right or wrong. All good points that I will use.

If your going to run it hard, run it hard during break in. I have done this and have never had an issue with cylinder leakage.

,Dan

20 minutes running time at 2500RPM +,
very the RPM (rev it slightly) every 2 minutes...
After that she'll go or blow (rollor or flat tappet)

Good luck

My bad, You meant total break in,Do the above, then drain the oil (to rid the cam lube,assembly lube, break in low weight oil),replace with fresh an new filter, then go for a drive an seat everything,heard it's best to very your speed every 10 miles for the first couple hundred miles

Enjoy!

My bad, You meant total break in,Do the above, then drain the oil (to rid the cam lube,assembly lube, break in low weight oil),replace with fresh an new filter, then go for a drive an seat everything,heard it's best to very your speed every 10 miles for the first couple hundred miles

Enjoy!

Like stated above, it's either right or wrong at this point, but there is no break-in or varying speed after cam break in. Things that shouldn't touch, better never, and the things that do touch will show if they aren't lubricated, right away. I've always broke in motors "hard" after getting the initial flat tappet break in oil out. They've always held up until some other event, sensor or electrical, got in the way, but never a problem because it wasn't babied at "break in".

Back