You can type here any text you want

regal dash swap into a G body

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

just plain john

El Camino a Go-Go!
I know this has been done before, but not by me. Yet. I'm looking for any tips/pics anyone might wish to share. I've heard to install the harness to the dash first, but before I do there is a lot of stuff I won't be needing like the power antenna, power trunk release, and who knows what else. Remove these from the harness, correct? C'mon, hook a brother up!

i'm assuming you are putting this in your elky? i would think it would be a bolt in deal.

I hope so, but here's the deal. I originally was going to keep the Elky dash, but the VSS and ALDL were different. I decided to do the swap, and now I have the dash and cluster from one source, the harness from another source, and zero experience. I'm just looking for any tips someone might share that's already done it. I don't have any kind of visual reference to aid me. I didn't see the dash come out of either donor car, and the harness is pretty substancial. I was hoping for some pics so I would at least know what it should look like having never seen one.

im going to put a 87 gn drivetrain in a 78 malibu, i think a week it should be done

Thanks for the link Charlie, but it's not really what I'm looking for. It is pretty cool though. What I have in mind is an OE appearence and fully functional dash. I'm also thinking I can use the rear defrost switch to activate my line lock. On the other hand, a full brace of gauges would be sweet. Wonder how much it would cost to fill up that one with 9 holes in it?

I've got one of the plates and if you want I can make a template for you. Shouldn't cost to much to mail it if I can get a small enough envelope. I may take me a couple of days to find a piece of cardboard big enough to do it though.

charlief, which plate do u have the bare aluminum one in the pic? or did u get one of those black anodized ones from that online store? plz

The Buick dash bolts right in . You need to move the clips from the body so,
that they match with the dash. The clips snap off and on. You have to use the Buick steering colum because, the headlight and wiper controls are on the sterring colum. I converted a 80 El Camino to a GN drive train.

so, they dont sell them anymore?

Nope. He got tired of the hassle and started selling them on evilbay. When he still didn't get enough sales he offered them on the board for cheap and I bought one from him. Haven't used it yet because I may be heading in a different direction but haven't decided yet.

If I don't use it I'll be selling it on evilbay. Get the best price on it that way.

Back