You can type here any text you want

Reggie jacksons gnx long block on ebay

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
That fire really sucked. It made national news. I cried because one of the cars claimed was one of 50 factory 62 Chevy 409 cars that got the aluminum front clip and 2 piece intakes:(. In 63 they were called Z-11's, but 62 they were just playin around. It was the best of the best. At the 1962 Winternationals, 48 of the last 50 cars in the running were 409 Chevys. Thats how it became such a legendary engine. No other engine since can make that claim.;)

:biggrin:

The GNX that is pictured above from the vegas museum, is listed for sale at the upcoming barrett jackson in scottsdale.

Hi,

I sent him an email regarding the vin #'s he replied with this-the pad near the trans house of the block reads 4HP452098,,, hope this helps. Thanks

So what # GNX burned? That VIN looks to be in the #460's range.

So what # GNX burned? That VIN looks to be in the #460's range.

How can you equate a vin # to a GNX serial # ?? I thought the 87's were pulled off the line at randome.

One would actually need a registry of every GNX vin # cross referenced to it's serial #

The number posted in the ebay auction 4HP452098 certainly looks to be a valid block serial. The last 8 of the vin from the vehicle would be HP452098. I believe he "leading" 4 is the vin's 3rd digit. At least that's how it is on my GN's.

As an example, the last 9 digits of my vin are 0GP436198, but the block tag is 4GP436198
The actual vin has a 4 as the third digit.

How can you equate a vin # to a GNX serial # ?? I thought the 87's were pulled off the line at randome.

One would actually need a registry of every GNX vin # cross referenced to it's serial #
For many years now, I have built my own log of VIN-to-GNX numbers using info from here, eBay, cars I've seen personally, etc. While not elaborate, I have over 135 cars logged. For the most part, the VINs seem to be in order though not always.

So, the 452098 number from the engine block lies between GNX #464 & 468 according to my notes.

For many years now, I have built my own log of VIN-to-GNX numbers using info from here, eBay, cars I've seen personally, etc. While not elaborate, I have over 135 cars logged. For the most part, the VINs seem to be in order though not always.

So, the 452098 number from the engine block lies between GNX #464 & 468 according to my notes.

Thats wierd because the car that sold at Barrett Jackson was #468.

:biggrin:

There are way too many exceptions to make any generalizations about VIN to GNX build numbers. Many were built well out of order, and many VINs were jumped or skipped (and remained GN's).

Just want to shut down any doubt about 468's legitimacy or existence (despite being referred to as "012" for years by those who never bothered to poke their heads inside and read the dash plate).

To be clear, 452098 corresponds to Reggie’s 476, which unfortunately left this earth the night of Wednesday, August 3, 1988 in spectacular fashion.

The number posted in the ebay auction 4HP452098 certainly looks to be a valid block serial. The last 8 of the vin from the vehicle would be HP452098. I believe he "leading" 4 is the vin's 3rd digit. At least that's how it is on my GN's.

As an example, the last 9 digits of my vin are 0GP436198, but the block tag is 4GP436198
The actual vin has a 4 as the third digit.

fyi, the 0 in your vin digits you posted is just a check digit it shouldnt appear on the block or trans stamping

in the late 60s gm took measures to deter theft , one was to stamp the block and transmisions so that even out of the car they could be traced if stolen
gm block and trans received the codes as follows
first digit was the division
1-chevy ,
2-pontiac
3-olds
4-buick
5-gmc
6-cadillac

2nd was year (69 was a 9 and 79 was a 9 so in 80 they started to use letters to avoid confusion 80=A and so on so ....G=86 H=87

third digit was for Plant the car was assembled , there were a few but for us
P= pontiac motor

the last six were the sequential Vin

so you can see the 4 in first digit your block stamp is for BUICK

Back