removing stock antenna

turbo buicks

ESADAH!!!
how do i remove my stock antenna off my 87 GN? it is all bent up. does it just twist out or do you actually have to get onder there and need tools? will my radio reception go to zero w/it out or will it be poor or not much different on the strong stations in the area? i just want to know even tho i have a broke radio:)

You have to partially remove the front fender, lotsa fun.

I'd do the radio first. ;)

Mine is broke up on the WE4 and I still get stations.

Originally posted by salvageV6
You have to partially remove the front fender, lotsa fun.

The easy part is removing the antenna from the fender once you get it unbolted.

1) Unscrew the antenna bezel nut on top of fender.
2) disconnect power ant. harness and and coax.
3) un-bolt the single bolt holding ant. unit in the door jam area.
4) carefully remove antenna unit.

Use masking tape on the door and fender lips to prevent chipping or scratches from fender and antenna removal. It takes me apx 25 minutes partially remove fender and antenna.

If you are just replacing the antenna cable, you wont have to remove antenna, just the fender and 2 phillips head screws that hold the antenna connection in place.

Originally posted by turbo buicks
how do i remove my stock antenna off my 87 GN? it is all bent up. does it just twist out or do you actually have to get onder there and need tools?

Now that I re-read your post, is this a fixed mast antenna? if it is, the mast will unscrew out but I cant remember if the coax is attached to it or not and if you still have to remove fender to access the connection.