You can type here any text you want

repaired stage 2 block ?Need your input!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GBGN1

stroked
Im looking at picking up the block that was for sale last month in the for sale section 3.8 off center.virgin block that some bottomed out the head bolts and it cracked.It was repaired in the lifter valley where the damage was done.Anyone see me having a problem with a iron block that was welded.Guy selling is "turboclam3"There was pictures and everything.What is it really worth?..just dont want my first build in years go down the drain:rolleyes:.Only have money for one build.
Any opionons would help thanks!!
Brian

In my experience with cast iron repair, if it didn't immediately re-crack after the welding was done it's good to go. The hardest part is finding someone who can weld cast iron properly. Those bolt holes are also the furthest away from any critical stress areas. I would run it.

........Any opionons would help thanks!!
Brian

Since you did ask for opinions, my first request would be to know who did the welding so I could talk direct to him to find out the procedure that was done. Hard to tell much about the actual weld repair from the pics?

We have had weld repair done on a few iron blocks, and it is expensive and time consuming, and the block should be pre-heated before welding.

I would also say that ANY head bolt thread IS a critical stress area. Only a stud should be used there, not a bolt.

If the welds check out, and this were to be machined and assembled properly, I would not hesitate to use it in a 9 sec. build. :)

Block

Get the history of the block welder. I have personally used welded stage 2 blocks that had cracks in the lifter valley, saddle repairs on the mains from cracks, chunks lost on blocks from rod punching or crank breaking, some were welded with heat and a few used a cold welding technique where no heat was used. Before I purchased or used anything I got the full story on the part. Every block has been put to the test of twin 52's, 62's or 67's for years. Every block is still in service to this day. Inspections are done on every tear down also.

Not sure who Garry uses for such work. He did all my race engine machine work, and did a first class job.
He also had considerable involvement in the v-sicks road racing program..

Talked to Garry this morning and he said that the welder (John) sold the business (I forget the name) to go work in the Hemi head design department for Dodge. Garry also said that the cold treatment was used. Garry would not touch this block if it wasn't repaired properly.

Back