You can type here any text you want

Replaced my accumulator ball today.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Turbodan

Got my Kirban's accumulator about a month ago. I figure it was nice outside today so i would change my first accumulator bowl. I had the brake light flicker when I tapped the brake. Well, that was the easiest thing i have done on the car. I figured it would be hard to get the old one off and put the new one on. Took me about 10 minutes. It was nice to not see the brake lot come on again. Brake pedal felt a little higher off the floor also. I pulled the car back in the garage and put the cover on her. Does anyone think it is a good idea to depressurized the accumulator when putting the car in storage?
Think it will extend the life of the accumulator ball?

I tend to believe that these brake systems sitting idle over say the winter tends to shorten the PM lives.It seems that cars that see more use seem to have fewer issues.Ive probably have had aleast two issues in say the last 3yrs.Not alot of mileage between failures using only GM parts.May be a good question for others to chime in on.Clean fluid in these units is highly recommended.I now try to run car several times thru out idle times and so far so good.Next time its getting converted,I wont lose this car over the brake system.Rock hard pedal with no sign of it coming and being in traffic isnt for me.Gm shouldve been sued over this system,but it was different times.

It seems to me that depressurizing the accumulator before you store the car would have to help, at least a little. You won't depressurize completely, but you will at least get the pressure down below the min set for the pump, and that has to slow down the leakage. And it won't hurt anything, so why not?

The accumulator is factory charged on one side,hence the blatter inside ball assy.You may be better off removing ball if fluid is somehow deteriorating rubber blatter.Its a catch 22,this system is costly,dangerous and shouldve gotta GM thrown in court.

Back