You can type here any text you want

Replacing Timing Cover

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

MichBC3

The timing cover in my car is scored in several places on the oil pump housing mating surface. It won't seal. I'm also not getting enough oil pressure. I'm the 4th owner so can't explain why this happened.. Anyway, I've got to deal with it, so I'm ordering a new timing cover and oil pump (standard volume) - checked out and clearanced properly.

While waiting for this stuff to arrive, I'll be disassembling my car.

1. Can you tell me if I need to drop the oil pan to remove and install the timing cover? If so, is there enough clearance in the chassis crossmember to do this without having to pick the engine up off the mounts?

2. Is there something tricky about the cam button? Is there a shim adjustment? Does it have to be shimmed differently when you change the timing cover?

3. Any cautions/tricks that you wish to share?

I'm going to have to do this myself (except for occasional assistance from a neighbor to hold things, etc.)

Thanks, Bob

Yes you have to drop oil pan. This may lead to having to change the oil pan gasket if the gasket breaks.

No issue on the cam button unless the cam is a roller. Then it gets messy as you need to clearance it.

I've used with great success the Felpro brand timing cover gaskets. I'd probably suggest you take the oil pump apart and make sure things are where they need to be, and repack it with vaseline. Last tid bit, you may want to mark your balancer for the 25 degree mark ATDC for aligning the cam sensor after its dropped back in. And make sure the cover has the seal installed where the balacer goes through it.

Impact guns work real good at taking of the balancer/crank bolt.

Thanks for the good tips Razor. I've already had my balancer off and on, so now have the proper tools to insure success. Yes, I have a roller cam so may have to learn about the impact of that. I was also advised to get the crank trigger re-oriented correctly when changing the cover. I'll be pulling this apart over the weekend - taking my time - and may have more questions. My new timing cover is not supposed to show up until the middle or end of next week. So I have time to study this.

Things turned out well. My oil pressure (fully warmed engine) at 650 RPM idle is about 20 psi now. At about 2000 RPM, 40 psi. Somebody cut a 25 ATDC mark on the balancer at one time or another which helped. Oil pan gasket did not break. Used a Fel-Pro timing gasket. Cam button and spring stayed in place. Now I'm having some fun/driving the car for a change. : ) Mission complete. Thanks!

Back