You can type here any text you want

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

ChrisCairns

I got the Weldon fixed ... ordered the coupler from Kinsler along with a prefilter and 2 more -10 fittings. Had it overnighted. $33.00 in freight later it arrived without the prefilter. I phoned Kinsler...."Oh sorry, it's backordered."

I phoned and ordered the Earl's from Summit (shoulda done that first) and had it overnighted. $21.00 in freight later I have it in hand and got the car running in time for Sats races.

That damn miss was back. All night the car missed at 6000 rpm...sometimes it missed worse than the previous run. I didn't have the plug-in to try running without the MSD box so I just gritted my teeth. Best run was a 9.979 @139.xx. Even made it to the 3rd round of eliminations on a 10.10 dial before I red lighted and put myself out.

When I got home last night at 10 PM I re-gapped the plugs to 32 thou...down from 36 just to eliminate the larger gap from the miss equation...and found I had blown the EGT probe right out of the header...lol. Talk about backpressure. I simply put a small piece of old headgasket material over the hole in the header and clamped it in place.

Today was a special race day as we normally don't run on Sundays. It was a perfect day....sunny and cool. And I remembered to take the MSD plug-in with me. (This plug-in allows user to revert to normal ignition.)

The first pass was the most out of control pass I've ever run....right, left and then back right, straight at the wall. Had to lift on this pass...lol. Still did a 10.99 at 133.xx. And this was with the MSD box still connected. And the miss was still there.

For the second pass I disconnected the box. A perfect pass, ran straight and true, AND DIDN'T MISS A BEAT. Took it up to 6700 rpm in first. Ran a 10.036 @ 140.20. Cool mph.

Third pass went well also. 10.01with a 5 @ 142.04. Highest mph so far. And again...no missing. Sometimes you have to smack me in the head a few times to make me see the obvious....but I've come to the conclusion my MSD box is bad. It'll be going in for repair. In the meantime I've REALLY gotten use to and fallen in love with a 2 step...so I'm going to reconfigure and reconnect the boost controller while the 2 step is being repaired. Not having to worry about not enough or too much boost on the line is now something I've grown use to and don't want to give it up.

I dialed a 10.00 flat and in the 1st round of eliminations Mr. Always Put Out In The First Round was put out in the first round, from a red light. I ran a 10.05 @ 141.83.

Turbo is maxed....24.2 psia on the FAST. Add a few more psi for a gauge reading...my gauge only reads to 25 and that's maxed so I assume 27 or 28 psig. 26 degrees timing. 60 fts today were all in the high 1.6's or low 1.7's.

I NEED A CONVERTER.

Chris

Chris, congrats on the great mph, but you definately need a converter (Neal Chance makes the best converters from what I've been told) and since the 76 is maxed out you might want to consider a PT-88:D ;) :)

T76 is maxed, gee maybe i better look at that. I was going to go with a 76 high 9's low 10's. But no more turbo at this pace:( :(

Originally posted by 86brick
Chris, congrats on the great mph, but you definately need a converter (Neal Chance makes the best converters from what I've been told) and since the 76 is maxed out you might want to consider a PT-88:D ;) :)

Another member and I just tried NC converters....and I'm not going to recite the whole story...but NC couldn't give us what we requested stall wise and finally issued a refund.

Yep...onwards and upwards on the turbo.:D

NJTurbo....remember, I can't 60 worth a damn. If I could this turbo would take me to the 9.70's. Go over the GNTTYPE and check out the fastest member's rides and see where other's are ETing using the same mph I'm turning. The 76 is a great turbo so don't decide against it yet.

Chris

You may want to take a look at ATI for converters. Billy Anderson has worked with them extensively developing turbo car converters and I think they have a pretty good handle on them. Give Billy a call or drop him a PM. Im sure he'll take care of you.

Originally posted by ChrisCairns

For the second pass I disconnected the box. A perfect pass, ran straight and true, AND DIDN'T MISS A BEAT. Took it up to 6700 rpm in first. Ran a 10.036 @ 140.20. Cool mph.

Scrap the MSD and go with an eDIST.
Yes, you lose the rev limited, two step, but
YOU HAVE IGNITION.
With the coil near plug, you have enough spark to light the charge, and to me, that's first and formost.

Neat update.

Originally posted by njturbo
Why are 60 times so poor. :(

Takes your choice....

(a) I'm an idiot
(b) Frame is bent
(c) Converter is waaaay too loose
(d) All of the above

:D

Chris, that really sucks about the Neal Chance converter cause I know Joe Lubrant has gone 9.13 @154mph with a NC 9" 4500 stall converter with his Stage II '87 Turbo-T that has a 3-bolt PT-88 turbo and I've heard a lot of good about his converters from some serious mustang guys.....

njturbo, from what I've heard the 76 turbos have been mid to low 9's @145+mph (I think there was even a TR in the 8's with a 76 turbo, but the car was very light or it might have been a turboed 5.0 mustang), so it should be plenty for your goals and I'm sure mid 9's would be very possible for Chris if he could get his car to 60' in the 1.4x-1.3x range:)

What does the car weigh now?

Art

Dunno Art....and I pass a government weigh station ALL the time...it's never open...lol.

I still don't have the doors installed or Lexan windshield or rear window. I do have a glass hood, deck, and both bumpers. Plus the Kirkey seats. Cell instead of tank. No wipers, 3 headlights removed. No radio or antenna. Still got the carpet and back seat in....I like that. The cage is steel (for now). So my guesstimate is 3500 with me in the car.

Chris, that really sucks about the Neal Chance converter cause I know Joe Lubrant has gone 9.13 @154mph with a NC 9" 4500 stall converter with his Stage II '87 Turbo-T that has a 3-bolt PT-88 turbo and I've heard a lot of good about his converters from some serious mustang guys.....

I agree. I believe Jim Byrne at PTE uses one; Dave Fiscus uses one. In fact I spoke to Dave on the phone about his....he was really happy with it straight from the mfg...no stall change necessary. I don't know what happened with ours...they were EXTREMELY tight. I do know that Dave ordered his through a vendor...perhaps vendors can "talk" converter talk such as ordering certain stators and shims....we couldn't so we just ordered by stall rpm. In NC's favor we both got a refund with no problem. The worst part was the R & R'ing of the tranny. 6 times for me and I think 6 or 7 times for the other board member.

I'll probably finish off the race year with the present converter...I'm all tranny R & R'd out. :)

Chris

njturbo, from what I've heard the 76 turbos have been mid to low 9's @145+mph (I think there was even a TR in the 8's with a 76 turbo, but the car was very light or it might have been a turboed 5.0 mustang), so it should be plenty for your goals and I'm sure mid 9's would be very possible for Chris if he could get his car to 60' in the 1.4x-1.3x range:)

My convertor was 2200 RPM at 2psi and that's all it could build out of the box. Aside from sending them my datalogs, I gave them all the info I could have. In the end Neil Chance could not give me a convertor with a height of 6.187(TH-400 bolted to stock block) and that is exactley what I sent the convertor back to them to correct(they didn't). Remember this is a $1900 dollar piece. I was supposed to have the same pump in my convertor as Dave Fiscus. I'll never know. It was a 10.5" pro-mod bolt together. I am trying a Precision from Aggressive performance.

Originally posted by Ted A.
Chris, you need to back off the red lights. That's for me.:)

I see that under your name. :D

I was just talking to someone at the track about this....he said when you're the slow car you get a "clean" tree...

And when you're the fast car you risk redlighting because of anticipation...(my problem)

I still prefer to leave last....the last person has the advantage of coming up on the other car and being able to gauge when to let off if needed. When you're the slower car and doing perhaps 120 mph it's hard to judge (especially while looking in the rear view mirror) whether the guy coming up on you at 135 to 140 is going to get there first or if you should let off.

njTurbo you need to keep in mind these guys are using and referring to a T-76 3 Bolt Turbo,with the headers that you have you will be using a 4 Bolt turbo! which is capable of alot more HP than the 3 bolt..

That is a very good point made by LikeMy6 cause the 4-bolt turbos do seem to make more power than the 3-bolts....

Chris here is some food for thought.

As you know, my dad has been going through the same problems with converters as you are.

As far as converters are concerned I have two words for you. Bruce Toelle. He will work with you on it to get it right.

Regarding 60 foot times, he is not doing any better with launching. There seems to be a fine line between leaving the line with 4 or 5 psi at the line and just running through the lights with bigger turbos.

I think we create some of our own problems by trying to move such a heavy vehicle from a dead stop. It makes a converter work pretty hard.

One other thought, turn the boost up on the turbo. I have not used a 76 before but it seems to me that 70s and 72s have some airflow left between 26 and 30 psi. I know there was a major difference between 26 and 30 with a 70. Maybe there is something to be had there, maybe not.

Glad to hear you are running well though. We are trying to get to the same spot you are.

I think he's already at the limit of what boost the 76 will make on his.

TurboTR

Chris
I don't know what you are gapping the plugs at but when I moved mine from 35 to 25 the miss went away and i got another 65 rear wheel horsepower on the dyno.

REG

Back