You can type here any text you want

Reprogramming factory chips

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

dgreene

Broke as hell.........
While I'm in question mode.....

I can't seem to reprogram factory chips. I have a few lying around and they erase fine, go through the motion of programing fine, even verify fine. Put them in the ECM and it's instant code 51. Any thoughts?

TIA

Originally posted by dgreene

I can't seem to reprogram factory chips. I have a few lying around and they erase fine, go through the motion of programing fine, even verify fine. Put them in the ECM and it's instant code 51. Any thoughts?

TIA

Some used chips are that way.

If you're just editing them in hex, you have to correct the checksum. What editor are you using?.

Factory Chips

I just got a bunch of factory chips today and have erased them. The part number on them is 32500 and raised window chips are 9802500. I have the pocket programmer 2. I have not tried them in the car yet. But would like to know what E-prom # to use to program them successfully since they are delcos. Using T-6 tuner.
Thanks
Tom:)

PS. There are other numbers on them as well, those # are consistant among the chips.

TIA

You installing the correct checksum in locations 00 and 01??

I use T6 Tuner some, and ultraedit to do some other stuff that T6 doesn't. I don't have this problem with AMD brand or any other 2732a eprom, just the ones that I rouged from some junk yard computers that I got. I'll use ultraedit to recalc the checksum and see if any of those will fly this time. The programmer that I'm using is a cheap one, a Pocket Programmer 2, maybe that's the problem with them. No big deal, just can't use some of the free stuff I came up with. As long as I can get 2732A's around, I'm fine.

By the way, what voltage are you guys using to reprogram the delco chips? THe 2732A's I use burn fine at 21 volts, the reused GM ones won't go till I use 25Volts. Maybe I fried them.....

Thanks guys!!

I use T6 Tuner some, and ultraedit to do some other stuff that T6 doesn't
By the way, what voltage are you guys using to reprogram the delco chips? THe 2732A's I use burn fine at 21 volts, the reused GM ones won't go till I use 25Volts. Maybe I fried them.....

Pockect Programmers are fine, I've been using them for years.
I don't know what ultraedit is, but be sure to edit the chip in T6 to make sure the CS is correct.

When in doubt start with the lowest programming voltage first. Doing a 21 at 25 will often work ONCE, and then the chip acts bizarre.

When in doubt start with the lowest programming voltage first. Doing a 21 at 25 will often work ONCE, and then the chip acts bizarre.

When I first started out, I tried using 12 volts and went from there. I found that the 2732A's that I had wouldn't program at 12, only give errors, but worked fine at 21. When I started with those old factory chips, they would give programing errors on anything less than 25.

Ultraedit is just a fancy windows hex editor, nothing really speacial though.. It will also calculate the checksum and display it, when you ask it to. You still have to plug it in manually though.

I dug up some more junkyard chips just a little while ago(my dad has a small junkyard) and will try a few more and see if they will fly.

Like I mentioned before, I don't really have to use old factory chips as I have some 2732A's and they work fine. Just was bored today and was trying to find uses for some old chips lying around.

Oh yeah, thanks for the helpful tips posted on gnttype.org. Open loop idle works alot better for my car than closed loop. Thankfully we don't have emission checks around here, so I can just leave it that way and forget about it.

I finally stuck in another one of those Delco chips that I had erased and redid over the weekend. Same thing....51. Oh well, I'll just purchass a few more 2732a's for spares and stop beating my head on my burner for awhile.

Thanks guys!!

Back