Required Safety Gear for Tech at Woodburn

TurboSlacker

SINISTR
Does Woodburn drag strip require a fire jacket for anyone running a non-stock turbo vehicle?

I recently realized that the NHRA regs now added this requirement for us turbo guys.

I don't have one so I hope I'm able to race at Turbo Thunder. Perhaps others are in the same situation especially us slower guys.

Dan- I've got a spare jacket- actually, it's the one I would have been wearing if I had been racing. You are welcome to use it. I was planning to pack it along just in case someone needed it. I am also bringing a spare helmet, and a few parts (plug wires, coilpack, etc.). -Steve

Dan- I've got a spare jacket- actually, it's the one I would have been wearing if I had been racing. You are welcome to use it. I was planning to pack it along just in case someone needed it. I am also bringing a spare helmet, and a few parts (plug wires, coilpack, etc.). -Steve

Great, thanks.

Man, after searching the net for a while I still really can't determine if NHRA requires a fire jacket for 11.50 and slower. Perhaps because of using an aftermarket turbo and/or methanol injection?

I never needed a jacket previous years but perhaps the rules have changed??

Yep, there is some fairly new rule regarding 'non-oem' turbos. Not sure if that means 'aftermarket' turbos, or cars that never came with a turbo... I think some inspectors are interpreting it their own way. Some guys have had tech issues due to the meth injection tanks also. Either way, it's always safer with the equipment/jacket/helmet/etc. You're covered either way!:) -Steve

That's what I worry about. Hate to spend the time and money and not be able to race, especially since I only race once or twice a year. I went ahead and ordered a jacket from Summit. Hopefully will receive it in time.:eek:

If it doesn't arrive, you are still welcome to use mine (my car won't be making the trip). It's from Ace Driving Gear, out of San Francisco. It's a really nice lightweight piece, that looks to be well constructed. I'm curious what other people think of it. They make some really nice (and expensive) racing gear. Either way, I'll see you down there! -Steve

Hey you guys I have a full set of gear from when I was racing the midget. I have a 1 piece simpson fire suit, Its embroidered with all of my sponsors and name and stuff, but if someone who is about 5' 10" and 150lbs needs one I have it for you to borrow. Also I believe I still have a pair of simpson gloves, shoes, Simpson Bandit II Helmet too. So if you give me some notice I will dig the stuff out of the attic and have it here for you to pick up before Thursday or friday. You tell me. You can email me at americantowing1@yahoo.com to let me know.

Mike