You can type here any text you want

Results of Compression & Leakdown Party

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TurboSlacker

SINISTR
We decided to do a compression and leakdown check on three 1987 Grand Nationals at the same time. The results are interesting and maybe insightful for others to see.

Typical numbers of a healthy engine is compression 150-160 with all cylinders within 10% of each other. Leakdown less than 10% leakage for each cylinder.

Josh's 20k mile stock 87GN
Compression on all cylinders was near 156. Leakdown was 4% or less with one cylinder at 90%. Excellent results that you hope for with a nice low mileage stock engine. Josh's numbers were slightly better than the higher mileage cars below.

Dan's 50k mile mildly modded 87GN
Compression range 150-154. Leakdown was 5% or less in all cylinders except #6. The #6 had 13% leakage that reduced to 9% after squirting oil into the combustion chamber to better seal the rings. Very noticable leakage could be heard out of the exhaust pipes which indicates an issue with the #6 exhaust valve. No leakage could be heard thru the throttle body (intake valve check) nor excess leakage thru the valve cover breathers (normal to hear a little).

Frank's 50k mile decently modded 87GN
Nearly identical to Dan's results. Compression 150-155. Leakdown was 5% or less in all cylinders except #3. The #3 had 24% leakage that could be heard thru the exhaust pipes.

We found the results interesting and it was really cool to do back-to-back testing of 3 GN's together.

Luckily none of results pointed to head gasket concerns. I was pleased to learn that my GN's #6 leakage was not too excessive and actually a little better than similar leakdown results done four years ago. This excourages me not to rip off the heads to fix any thing at this point. My stock headgaskets will remain intact!

The question now is...is there anything that can be done to reduce the exhaust valve leakage without removing the heads ? Any seals that can be replaced or internal additives or removing the valve spring to gain access to anything ?

Did you do the leak down hot? and i believe 10% difference between cylinders is the most you like to see:) Did you fire your car up and go around the block getting on it hard and retest #6 to see if it improved?Carbon on the valve seats can do this and a good beating helps alot of times ;)

Also were these leak downs done at BDC or TDC or both?

Tests were done on mine and Frank's after fully warmed-up. Josh's was done 2 hours after driving it from Renton to Lake Stevens. All were done at TDC.

I did GM cleaner last week and drove it since with full boost and alky flowing. This should be the best I can do to break out any carbon.

The reason i asked all those questions is because ive seen more than one guy take a motor appart because of a bad leak down. Then find out they did it cold or at BDC and ive seen 25% leak on a hot motors and went and out beat the car and then it was under 10%:) Also the motor vac system is one of the best systems to remove carbon that ive seen:) Just my 2 cents

Specialty Enterprises Unlmtd
Address: 12803 Highway 99, Everett, WA 98204
Phone: (425) 742-2350

Its not cheap $130 and it may or maynot help, you never know but carbon on the back side of the intake valves does affect idle quality.
This system bypasses the fuel tank and runs the cleaner through your injectors and gets a better chance to acually clean the back side of the intake valves than topend cleaner. What would be nice is to have a vacum wave form done to see how even the vacum is on all the cylinders:)

If you going to do this i would trust my friend Troy at Ricks Tire and Service to do it:) They are in Seattle near 130th and Hwy 99 #206-363-4600 Make sure you talk to Troy and tell him you know me:) You might also check your vacum at a idle and compare it to other GN,s like you did the leak downs;) A vacum wave form like a said before is your next best thing to look at:D

Back