You can type here any text you want

Reusing rjc HG's that were never fired just torqued down?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

driven87

I was having this debate with a freind of mine and was wondering everyones take on this? If you installed some rjc gaskets torqued to spec to check for lets say clearance or anything of the matter and took the heads back off 5 minutes later would you still be able to use the gasket in final assembly? I'm thinking i dont see why not since the car was never fired you should be able to put the sealer on and torque to spec and send it that way. Whats your take on reusing these headgaskets that were never fired up? Would you be ok using these on a car that saw mid 12's and 20psi? Would you be willing to use these on a car that saw mid 9's and 30psi? Thanks

I think I read they are reusable even after some miles on them but not 100% sure?
If you never used the goop the first time I dont see why not??

I would think even if the goop was used but 100% cleaned off you still could use them.

hgs

those gaskets have a bump on them that gets squished when you torque the heads down. For all the trouble of doing head gaskets I would not chance it and just buy new gaskets, they are not that much money. Besy guy to ask would be race jace himself. My cousin and I have both used those gaskets for 10 sec and 12 sec cars no problems.

Jarred.

I heard you can, but i wont. Have you ever changed a head gasket with the motor in the car? No fun at all. I would not chance it,I would pay alittle now for new one and have that piece of mind. Once there cruched thats it,
Just my $.02.

I have never done a headgasket on the buick but i know on my other car it uses the multi layered steel gaskets, after it is torqued down and crushed once you DO NOT reuse it.

I have never done a headgasket on the buick but i know on my other car it uses the multi layered steel gaskets, after it is torqued down and crushed once you DO NOT reuse it.
Ive seen multilayer shim gaskets be reused successfully

I called Jason and he stated i would have no problems putting the gasket back on.

Thats what I thought was mentioned a long time back. The goop & heat cycles would make me not do it. Nor would I go from 1 engine to another. same engine & heads, no goop & no heat & I would do it.

Back