You can type here any text you want

Reveal Winshield Moulding Clip Studs

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Morbid

I need to replace one of the "studs" that hold the Plastic Clips on to the car around the Windshield. This would be for the Reveal Moulding that fits around the Windshield.

I know the original ones were Welded on but was wondering if anyone has a workaround or part to get?

TIA

M0rBid

Depending on where it is you may not have to worry about it. While restoring my '87 GN one of mine broke along the top. I put all new clips on and it held just fine.

Ohh I need it alright. I had the windshield pulled to effect rust rot repairs in the channel and in the corners of the roof where it meets the A-Pillars.

It's one of the one's that hold the clips for the top windshield moulding. Worst yet it's the one on the end (drivers side). Test fitted the moulding after putting down some filler and it won't lay flat on that end. It sticks up a lot.

Looks like you have to weld one in. I have heard of people using urethane for a quick fix.

Yeah the factory one's are welded on with a stud welder, and if I had one (a stud welder) I'd probably go that route.

A friend of mine who has owned a shop for years just emailed me that you can buy screw-in studs as opposed to the welded one's.

Seems likely as I doubt I'm the first to have had this issue. Now just to find a source for the right one's.

Thanks for answering up guys.

Thanks Brad, I'll start calling around tomorrow. I'd like to get the stud back in before painting.

The aftermarket should have them. If not the GM part number is 4492963. If you know what you are looking for they might even be on the hardware rack down at AutoZone or NAPA.

Eric

I tried the rack at all of the Auto Body Re-Finishing stores I usually go to (actually we only have 3 up here) and none of them carried it. Went to several Auto Parts Stores (Advance Auto, Pepboys, etc) and they didn't have em either.

I found a company that makes them Car-Pak but they don't sell to individuals just distributors.

On page 17 they list three different one's. I ordered today part# 67-3069 (#4 X 5/8 Screw-In Molding Stud) cause it was listed as available from one of those Distributor's websites.

Now that I have the part number I'm gonna see if they get me Car-Pak's # 77-4446 which is a replacement for the part number you gave me. The difference is the shoulder length (1/8" on these as opposed to 3/16" on the other ones)

Thanks Again

When I had a vinyle top it rusted out the area underneath. I removed the vinyle and repaired the rust and decided not to use a vinyle top.

Problem was that those models don't come with any studs around the rear window. I bought small galvanized sheet metals screws that fitted the plastic clips. I drilled out openings all around the window sill and inserted the screws.

I inserted boneyard G-Body chrome trimming after I sanded and primed the whole area and inserted the rear window. It's been four years since and no one can tell I ever had a vinyle top. Just gotta size up the right screws to get it to work and fit pryer to the window install.:D

Yeah the vinyl is a PITA to deal with. I've had mine off before and repair the rust that almost always develops.

I did think about going the screw route or even pop rivets like I saw in my Fisher Body Manual.

In the end I got the studs that Eric posted and they'll be here in a few days, about $7.00 for a box of 100 plus shipping.

Thanks everyone for helping out, I'd be lost without this Board. I go into shops asking questions on parts for these cars and if the make and model is over 5 years old they haven't got a clue.

...... I'd be lost without this Board. I go into shops asking questions on parts for these cars and if the make and model is over 5 years old they haven't got a clue....

Yeah that sucks.....it's almost as if there's a conspiracy to exterminate old cars. :mad:

Iv'e got two 83's and was wondering about getting rid of the vinyl top problem. Iv'e got rot that has eaten the valance and rear window suport so I was wondering about going without the original. Using screws would be a good idea and I'd like to know more about the weld on studs please.
Charlie

The weld-on studs are what the factory puts on. They have a special welder that does it and I believe you can but something similar.

What I started this thread about was a replacement that didn't require the need for the Stud-Welder. Those would be the "Screw-on" studs.

I get a box yesterday and put a few in today. Work like a charm and I even test fitted the moulding and everything is fine.

What else would you like to know about them?

Greg

Scroll up and look at my post in response to "turbofish" you'll see a link for the manufacturer "Car-Pak".

When you click that link a PDF will open to the catalog go down to page 15 and you'll see several studs they make. I got the one 77-4446.

Car-Pak only sells to distributors and aren't to friendly to end users when they call up asking questions about their products (don't ask me how I know :rolleyes:).

I brought mine from Pointe Products who were very nice to me on the phone.

However if you want the one's I got they don't list them on the website, call Shane Williams @ (800) 842-1411 ext. 25 and tell him you want the same order he did for Greg Young in Rochester NY (Car-Pak item# 77-4446).

He'll treat you right.

If you still need color photo's I'll see what I can do, but I'm spend'in most of the time now in the garage trying to get this roof done before Winter, which up here is real soon.

Greg

Back