You can type here any text you want

Reverse Light/Adjustment Issues...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TurboRegal84

Staff member
I am well aware of the process for adjusting the rod for the reverse light operation (Key on, put in reverse and adjust) however I did not know how difficult it could be.

After a couple hours of going at it, I have come up with the assumption that every time I adjust it one of two things happens:

A) The reverse lights only light when going from PARK to REVERSE and do not light when going from DRIVE to REVERSE.

OR

B) The reverse lights only light when going from DRIVE to REVERSE and do not light when going from PARK to REVERSE.

So when I get one way to work...the opposite will not....Anyone have any past experience with this? Is there a set amount that the rod is supposed to be exposed after the bolt?

I appreciate any help!

Hi,
Jeez, I didn't realize this was a big deal. Do you have a sloppy shifter? I can't imagine any other reason for your problem. My car has no problems in this area.

83ttypecooled said:
Hi,
Jeez, I didn't realize this was a big deal. Do you have a sloppy shifter? I can't imagine any other reason for your problem. My car has no problems in this area.

I didn't realize it was a big deal either....The shifter is not sloppy at all....it is a low Mileage car....To add to some of the confusion....The Clk/Cig fuse blows when I put the car into gear. With it one way the fuse will blow in reverse but if I go back and re-adjust it will blow in drive...I have wrenched on these cars alot...and this is has me stumped!

i actually have a question for you as i also need to adjust my back up light . where is the rod you are talking about to adjust the reverse is it on the shift column ? i would appreciate the info so i can give mine a try

thanks, john

It has been a while since I posted about the issue but I was able to get it fixed. I figured I would post just incase anyone wanted to search for a fix in the future.

I was able to figure this out because the car could be started in drive while it should only be able to start in park and neutral.

It was a combination between the shift-linkage being mis-adjusted and the neutral safety switch not being set correctly.

Simple 5 minute fix!

I know this is VERY old but I clicked on the link to find the procedure and it wasn't there anymore. Can you or anyone else point me in the right direction? I have done a few searches but haven't found the procedure. My car has the reverse lights on when the car is in park...

if you have the lockout linkage rod connected between the column and the trans ..it self adjusts ,just pull the shifter in low 1

if that wont do it the switch is located on the top side of the column down past the pedals , it can be pushed left to right (it will go click click click ) to adjust ,yours should need to be moved toward the right side

if you have the lockout linkage rod connected between the column and the trans ..it self adjusts ,just pull the shifter in low 1

if that wont do it the switch is located on the top side of the column down past the pedals , it can be pushed left to right (it will go click click click ) to adjust ,yours should need to be moved toward the right side

That makes it easy, Thanks, I'll try that tomorrow!

Back