You can type here any text you want

Rittle me this..

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

forcedfedv6

Banned
Just recently my car started consuming a lot of oil and i would notice that upon coming to a stop and go traffic, lots of blue smoke would come out the pipes, so i started looking for the source, turbo checked out dry as a desert both sides, plugs looked great no oil cake on the tips or edges of plugs, next was the vacuum block and bingo lots of oil coming through the PVC getting sucked into the vacuum block and making its way down to the cylinders, so i checked PVC it looks good and worked great but decided to put a new one just to make sure, but car still doing the same, Breathers on both valve covers are clean and venting really good, next I put a catch can to see how much oil it was sucking up through the PVC and to my surprise i drove 50 miles and there was as much as 2 inches of oil in the can :eek:, so obviously something is up, I have 1200 intake gaskets and a stock sheet metal pan gasket was cut and put in place before installing the intake again, only thing i can think off is that vibration from the engine made the pan we cut fall from the edges were it mounts to the heads, so now the oil returning from the turbo is landing on top of the valley pan and not below where its suppose to be and the oil is being sucked up into the PVC or that enough oil is being splashed in there that the PVC is getting drenched and that is why so much damn oil getting sucked up by the engine under vacuum, (11inches of vacuum at idle and 20 at close throttle from cruisin) a friend and I did a leak down test just to make sure the engine was good and all cylinders checked out at 10% leak down which tells us rings are good, when engine was built the top ring was set at 22thou and lower ring at 24 thou, forgot to mentioned engine has less than 3k miles on it since new rebuilt and it dynoed at 567whp at 24psi with a 70 turbo.. so question is, wtf is going with this much oil coming up through the PVC, leak down was good, hardly any blow by, breathers are clean and free and PVC is in good working condition, any Ideas what could be causing this, lets see some opinions, perhaps I am missing something here...

thanks
forcedfedv6

There was another thread just like yours a few months ago. If I remember right he did the exact same thing as far as checking and finally had to take the engine down. He found a cracked piston that would seal with a leak down test. Just a sugestion and I hope I'm not killing ya. Good luck.

There was another thread just like yours a few months ago. If I remember right he did the exact same thing as far as checking and finally had to take the engine down. He found a cracked piston that would seal with a leak down test. Just a sugestion and I hope I'm not killing ya. Good luck.

You mean a crack piston ring, because a cracked piston would really make a big leak. LOL

Nope. He had a hairline crack on the side that was barely noticible (sp). It wasn't visible until he took the pistons out.

Move the PCV up into the valve cover.

Good Idea, but i still would like to know what is causing all the oil to get sucked into the PVC, I do get very little oil to the breathers mainly the drivers side, I am using stock valve covers with the RCJ spacers, lets see some other opinions on this..

I had the same problem with my son's car. He was using the 1200 gaskets with a modified valley pan gasket and still had a lot of oil getting sucked up through the pcv. The only cure was moving to the right valve cover.

eliminate the pcv and change the oil more often

Back