RJC cam sensor repair kit install. Question

whitehot1

I have this kit here and want to install it but don't want to create more work for me to do in the process. I did a search and read some threads and this one guy had some bad luck when he tried to remove the phillips head screw that holds everything in place,here is the comment he posted in the thread about it.

Yeah, took a few steps forward - then tonight I thought Id be a bright guy and do some preventive maintenance on the cam sensor - install RJC's "cam sensor repair kit " Well, as I was trying to remove the small phillips screw that holds the washer with the tang in place - the screw snapped off. I just walked out of the garage..Any suggestions there - don't hesitate to pass them along..Larry

My question is how common is it for this phillips head screw to snap off when trying to remove it, to install the kit? My cam sensor is new made by Standard Motors with less than 100 miles on it,if that helps with the answer. I'm just trying to make the cam sensor stronger so the tab doesn't break off. To avoid being brokedown on the road and having to fix it there or being hauled back to the house then fixing it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I have this kit here and want to install it but don't want to create more work for me to do in the process. I did a search and read some threads and this one guy had some bad luck when he tried to remove the phillips head screw that holds everything in place,here is the comment he posted in the thread about it.

Yeah, took a few steps forward - then tonight I thought Id be a bright guy and do some preventive maintenance on the cam sensor - install RJC's "cam sensor repair kit " Well, as I was trying to remove the small phillips screw that holds the washer with the tang in place - the screw snapped off. I just walked out of the garage..Any suggestions there - don't hesitate to pass them along..Larry

My question is how common is it for this phillips head screw to snap off when trying to remove it, to install the kit? My cam sensor is new made by Standard Motors with less than 100 miles on it,if that helps with the answer. I'm just trying to make the cam sensor stronger so the tab doesn't break off. To avoid being brokedown on the road and having to fix it there or being hauled back to the house then fixing it.

Thanks in advance for any help.
I have taken apart a few of these and some tips i can offer you is make sure you are using a new or perfect condition screwdriver as some of these screws can be a bit tough to get out....... Most of the time there is evidence of loctite thread locker being used on this screw and that is what causes the screw to be difficult to remove....... Also look at the condition of the screw before hand to see if someone has rounded it out. I have never broken one myself some are just a little tough to get out.......If I had one that i thought was going to break I would apply a bit of heat to get the loctite to release and then back out the screw

I'm going to use a 1/4'' ratchet with a 2'' extension,socket and #2 phillips bit.

I will go at it slowly and turn the screw back and forth if i feel any resistance on it so it doesn't get in a bind.

There was no mention of doing anything special while removing the screw in the instructions that came with the kit. I did a search a couple of times and read quite a few threads about the cam sensor kit installation. But it was just that one thread were the guy snapped the head off the screw that got me a little paranoid of it breaking. I don't break things very often i'm that cautious while working and will stop and not force things if it gets to hard to turn especially small screws like this.

Thanks for the tips.

I've done three sensors now with this kit and never had a problem yet. Like anything with small parts, take your time. Use a good driver as mentioned.

I have had that issue with the screw snapping off. What I do now is remove the shaft and ring from the housing and then heat the top of the shaft with a heat gun. Screw comes out pretty easy.

I've done three sensors now with this kit and never had a problem yet. Like anything with small parts, take your time. Use a good driver as mentioned.

When you put the new screw in did you use any thread locker on it and did you torque it down or just tighten it down good using just the lock washer? Is there a torque spec? It wasn't in the instructions if there is.

I did not have an issue with the screw coming out, but the scree that am with the kit seemed to not thread into the sensor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have access to nail polish remover or acetone, it melts threadlocker. Soak a Q Tip in acetone and sponge it all over the screw to get it down in the threads. Basically you need to have access to girly stuff to do this job. Ha.

Just finished up installing the cam sensor repair kit about 15 minutes ago.

The phillips head screw came right out very easy hardly any effort at all. Just used the 1/4'' ratchet and a 6'' extension,socket and #2 phillips bit. No sign of thread sealer on the threads. The hardest part of this job was filing the tab to fit and bending it to fit through the hole in the interrupter ring and getting it at the correct angle. I wouldn't want to do this on the side of the road and or maybe at night if that tab broke and had this kit to fix it. The car would have to be hauled to the house or garage. If you are thinking about installing this kit, it is something you want to install before the tab breaks on your cam sensor and leaves you broke down somewhere.

How common is this failure and is there a mileage factor where they seem to fail at????

I don't know how common it is for it to fail. I installed it to eliminate any chance of it doing so. I was surprised at how small the tab was on the interrupter ring of my new cam sensor and how easy it was for me to break it off with just pliers. On the RJC racing web site they say its a good idea to have one of these kits in the glove box just in case the tab ever breaks on you. I personally wouldn't want to install the kit on the side of the road or where ever the tab broke and left you broke down. Thats why i did the installation here in my garage,it didn't take long to do but you do have to file fit the new tab to install it.

Here is the write up from their site.

Tired of wasting $150 for a new cam sensor just because the tab broke on the interrupter ring on your cam sensor? So were we. We designed this simple little repair kit to repair this problem and since our new tab is made from high strength 304 Stainless Steel it won’t happen again. Never let a broken interrupter ring ruin your day of racing again. This is something that can be fixed on the car without taking the sensor out. This is one of those things that every Turbo Buick owner should have in his tool box or even glove box. The kit includes Detailed instructions, Grade 8 Socket head Cap Screw, Lock Washer, and the Stainless Steel Interrupter Trigger Tab.