You can type here any text you want

RJC engine Girdle

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Most will say, "depends." Many have gone 9's without one, some people need them in the 10 or even 11's with a bad tune. It's chicken or the egg. The crank flexes and breaks the caps and block above 450-500 rwhp. Some people solve this by using a forged crank that shouldn't flex as much, some use billet main caps which will help keep the caps from breaking but will do little to prevent crank flex. Some use a girdle with forged crank and stock caps. Others go all out with forged crank, billet main caps, AND a girdle. Pick what you like, but I don't think you NEED a girdle unless trying to make 150mph horsepower on a 109 block.

A forged crank, good rods and pistons, billet mains with a good tune should get you to 700+rwhp. Some say it's hard to get a girdled motor not to leak, but that appears to have been solved too. I am going forged crank and billet center mains only, but 600 rwhp is my goal, so I don't need it all.

I have GN1stock stroke kit and billet main caps. So I should be ok? Not looking for more than 600rwhp.

If you know how to tune the thing, sure.

Still learning. I'm in one of those remote areas. I don't have anyone near that I know of that I could learn from. I would have it made if I was in FL or the north/north east. Even Cali.

If it wasn't for this forum and the nice vendors i'd be screwed.

Bracket race mine at 6.90 with the stock bottom end and a 20/30 crank.

If the machinist mills the pan rails and front cover flat, then fits the girdle, it will not leak if installed with "The Right Stuff" between the block and girdle. Using the oil scrapper RJC sells also helps. If you dont do it right, they have been known to leak.

I know that I am on borrowed time, stock bottom end , cam upgraded, cast iron heads ( very mild clean up ) , TE69 turbo, I have dropped a pushrod in the motor again ( winter project - may have wiped a lobe again) low 6.40's in the 1/8. I have contacted a few builders and will eventually go with a stroker kit and new billet caps. Watch your tune as stated above keep it fat and rich.

I know that I am on borrowed time, stock bottom end , cam upgraded, cast iron heads ( very mild clean up ) , TE69 turbo, I have dropped a pushrod in the motor again ( winter project - may have wiped a lobe again) low 6.40's in the 1/8. I have contacted a few builders and will eventually go with a stroker kit and new billet caps. Watch your tune as stated above keep it fat and rich.

I did the stock stroke .02 over. Motor is strong. Instant throttle response and spool with stock turbo. I think the 72mm throttle body, plentium and ported intake make a good combo with what you're doing too.

I did the stock stroke .02 over. Motor is strong. Instant throttle response and spool with stock turbo. I think the 72mm throttle body, plentium and ported intake make a good combo with what you're doing too.
No way he needs a 72mm throttle body and plenum unless he is going mid to bottom 9's. The stock throttle body will go well into the 10's. He could have it ported out to 65mm, but thats still $$$ spent that coulda went elsewhere. Put a power plate on it, and polish the inside of the plenum. A ported intake is fine, but the bigger TB and plenum is a waste of almost $500. That 72 was made to run with the Champion full race intake...which is not needed until your thinking 8's.

No way he needs a 72mm throttle body and plenum unless he is going mid to bottom 9's. The stock throttle body will go well into the 10's. He could have it ported out to 65mm, but thats still $$$ spent that coulda went elsewhere. Put a power plate on it, and polish the inside of the plenum. A ported intake is fine, but the bigger TB and plenum is a waste of almost $500. That 72 was made to run with the Champion full race intake...which is not needed until your thinking 8's.

Ok he doesn't need one. If I was on this forum a year ago I would be well informed about many other things, and could have saved myself some $$$$. I never knew we had so many kind turbo buick owners in the world. Thanks to that vendor for selling me something I didn't need. Same vendor sold me some 60lb injectors but didn't bother to inform me or have on his site that you needed a translator for the chip that it came with. I don't blame anyone but myself. But customer service means a little to me. I don't buys as much from him now for other reasons anyway. Thanks for the info coach. Anyone need a champion throttle body and plentium?

Sorry, but we all have learned things the hard way. Unless you go over your ultimate goal...most vendors don't know it. Therefore they sell you what you request. Internet ordering has taken the ability of the vendor or phone rep to ask what your building.
They simply fill your order. I always phone orders...unless its minor items. That's how I got my list of vendors in my signature. I purchased their products...after they understood my combo and goal. You'll notice there are several members listed too. They are members who helped me get the understanding of these cars that I have. There are top notch guys here that will walk you thru your "Turbo Buick Adventure"...lol
If you have it already...use it. It won't hurt performance, it's just $$$ that coulda went into another area.

Yeah he knew my goals!!! Talked to him too many times.
And yeah I could have an alky kit. Even money.

Well that's def a bogus vendor. As soon as you got 60# injectors...he shoulda said..."you don't need the 72mm." "Maybe grab a chip and Alky kit." I can't speak for them, it's about their bottom line.

That does kinda suck. We've all bought things we didn't need. One thing I've learned though is that these cars can do a lot with a little until you are pushing mid 10's or faster.

That was the reason that I started a thread called "boat anchors" , buying stuff that we did not need , or just because we read about the performance someone else got with that product. I knew that it happened to more people than just me, I got a lot of reads and not one single reply. For the record I have a Steve Monroe(?) 62 mm throttle body mod, and the old ATR plugs for the coolant lines. I think that I had read about throttle body test comparisons by Quad Air (Red Armstrong) many years ago. Back in the day , it seems that all of the Buick vendors had 12,11,10,and the ultimate 9 second recipe. Matter of fact look under the Go Fast heading on the RJC website, even a low 9 sec recipe. http://rjcracing.com/speed-recipies/

Ok he doesn't need one. If I was on this forum a year ago I would be well informed about many other things, and could have saved myself some $$$$. I never knew we had so many kind turbo buick owners in the world. Thanks to that vendor for selling me something I didn't need. Same vendor sold me some 60lb injectors but didn't bother to inform me or have on his site that you needed a translator for the chip that it came with. I don't blame anyone but myself. But customer service means a little to me. I don't buys as much from him now for other reasons anyway. Thanks for the info coach. Anyone need a champion throttle body and plentium?

BTW, Vendor mentioned in discussion is not a board member.

70mm TB here.... If you can afford to do the Champion intake do it. Doing something the right way once is cheaper than doing it twice.

Back