RJC Power Plate (Stock plenum) - does it really work?

turbogronk

MidNight Rider
Howdy all,

A while back I bought an RJC Power Plate from another forum member & got a good deal. To date I haven't installed it but likely will. But I'm curious, with all due respect to the vendor, do these REALLY work as advertised? Currently the car is 95% stock. The only mods have been my own custom chips, a Duttweiler neck on the intercooler, an AFS-22 O2 Sensor (The "GNX" O2 sensor) & getting that damned oil suckout tube off the inlet bell of my turbo. Other upgrades are planned, but that's as $$$ allows. We all know how that goes!

Passingly in a conversation with him a while ago, Kenny Duttweiler (and another guy in his shop) said "we take all those things off and throw them away" when I asked about power plates in general. Obviously they don't have much faith in them. Perhaps their impression was from other models, not the RJC. Kenny is one of the gurus and I respect his vast experience & success HIGHLY. But a second opinion is standard with a doctor, so why not here too.

I understand the concept as explained with the airflow problem and attempting to correct it with this plate. But is it truly correcting it, or just causing enough of a flow restriction, limiting boost "throughput" and reducing leanout/knock simply from that and not a the true "distributive correction"?

I welcome your comments/testimonials!

First off you must be a newb aka fng...lol.This topic is a dead horse thats been beaten, buried and dug up and your just beating on the skeleton....
So do a search.
imo the plugs tell you all you need to know....it works.

I bought and installed my power plate when they first became available and would not think about removing it, the thing works.

Since you already have the power plate, install it and see for yourself how well it works.

As stated..dead skeleton horse. For some it works....for those that have the ability to tune really well its just a restriction.

The question that still hasn't been answered is wether it makes a difference in HP or torque, Up or down, by changing nothing else except for the power plate.

From what I understand it's main purpose is to even out air pressure in all cylinders eliminating KR because of too much boost in the rear cylinders and allowing you to bump up the boost a few lbs and YES, that has been proven.

D

I'm almost maxxing out my te44 with my current mph with a powerplate installed. Does it help? I think so. Does it hurt anything? Obviously not... But that's just on my combo and no two cars are the same. Try it and see if it works on YOUR car.

.for those that have the ability to tune really well its just a restriction.

ok Ill go get that POS off Melissa's 9.94 @ 138 GN street DRIVEN car :rolleyes: Obviously it's not making any power !

A5B6CA21-C099-4EB4-B83A-B4A9660E1449-395-0000004F06AC129A.jpg

I was at the GS nationals several years ago when RJC was there selling some of their products. This was one of them and they had a display set up with a stock tb/plenum/intake with and with out the Power Plate. With out breaking down the science which I'm think they do on their site. They hooked up a simply display with the same leaf blowers on each. The non Power Plate intake had serious flow issues to one of the cyclinders. I can't remember which one but I'm thinking it was on of the ones in the back. The plenum/intake with the PP installed felt like each cyclinder was getting the equal amount of air.

I will not own another turbo buick with out having one of them on my car.

What your mechanic maybe thinking is the plenum spacers which do not do anything.

ok Ill go get that POS off Melissa's 9.94 @ 138 GN street DRIVEN car :rolleyes: Obviously it's not making any power !

View attachment 185335

No need to get all sassy, wasnt referring to your freak street car haha .

On my chipped..more stockish cars that have had them i noticed on one car I could turn the boost up about 1# more without knock...I'm simply basing my opinion off the cars I have been around and familiar with that can simply tune with things like fast, big stuff, etc.... that fix the problems of the uneven air distribution through tuning. And not once did I say they were junk or a POS. Just saying the higher end buicks I have seen don't run them..may it be due to tuning advantages, aftermarket/worked intakes, etc...

Just relaying personal experiences and my opinion since that's what the forums are for :p

No need to get all sassy, wasnt referring to your freak street car haha .

On my chipped..more stockish cars that have had them i noticed on one car I could turn the boost up about 1# more without knock...I'm simply basing my opinion off the cars I have been around and familiar with that can simply tune with things like fast, big stuff, etc.... that fix the problems of the uneven air distribution through tuning. And not once did I say they were junk or a POS. Just saying the higher end buicks I have seen don't run them..may it be due to tuning advantages, aftermarket/worked intakes, etc...

Just relaying personal experiences and my opinion since that's what the forums are for :p

there are a lot of difference ways to skin a cat :p We have them on stock cars to a little faster cars. I know most people have a lot of the other parts to compensate. We are simple guys:D Oh I have very thick skin !! :p

Stupid question alert
Why did the reading on my boost gauge go UP when i installed the PP ?

Maybe your combo became more capable of moving air with it? You may have unstable flow before worse than others. Are you running internal or ext gate? I find the internals lack consistency anyway.

what guys need to understand is when you change one part it has an effect on several parts.ive run with and without a plate on a stock motor/49 combo that went 11.1 and a built combo that runs much much faster and the plugs are more even with the powerplate.if the plate is matched with the throttle body its not a restriction.what doesn't get talked about is the mods to the tune and motor on the bigger combo's to run without the plate.