Rocker Arm/Rocker Shaft help?

Buick Beginner

Where is my $$$ going?
Gentlemen,
Well, my rocker arms are not stamped the way they're supposed to be, not one single "L" or "R" on any of them. I don't know if they're aftermarkets or not. Anyone got any suggestions on how to mount them on the shafts? Also, the placement of the shafts, I know the extra hole is positioned between #3 and #5 cylinders on one side, but what's the proper placement on the other side? Any help is much appreciated. Also, on a side note if you have any tips or tricks on rocker arm placement, I'm all ears! Thanks for the help. - BB

If you are looking at your rockers in a pile, or not indexed as they came off the shaft, you have just given yourself a very expensive lesson. The 'R' and 'L' left the building about 10 years ago as they were only printed on the rockers. You will have to purchase replacement rockers from a TR vendor, or, gulp, GM, and assemble them according to GM's assembly instruction sheet. You will also need a new batch of 12 of those plastic tits that keep the rocker on the shaft. Be certain that you wash out all the broken tit pieces from inside the shaft before re-assembly. Sometimes experience can be very bitter and expensive, this may be one of those times. In the future, do a search on the subject and if the subject isn't crystal clear BEFORE you start, make a post for help as we all started out here at one point.
Good luck,
Jim

Let me get this straight

So the rockers had some kind of ink on them that came off over time? Or are they aftermarket rockers? What do you think would be the long term effects of putting them on out of order? - BB:confused:

No, it wasn't ink, the "L" (for left ) and "R" (for right) was actually stamped into the casting. If you install them out of order, I think it will affect rocker arm geometry and cause pre-mature cam and valve wear. I thing the rocerarms are still available from GM. I think I have a used set if you're interested. I don't know for sure, but i can check if you want.

I must have aftermarket units

I've gone over the rockers with a fine tooth comb, but no marks. I'll have to take my chances for now simply because I'm 400 miles from home doing an engine rebuild. I'm racing the clock to get her done and drivable by next Wednesday. I'll have to keep my fingers crossed. - BB