You can type here any text you want

Rockingham on 12/10

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Hot Air

E85 and S.E./Carolinas Moderator
Staff member
I'm going to rockingham this Sunday. Trying to get into 10's. Anyone else going? Gate open at 11, runs start at noon.
Conrad

converter issue here, trany is coming out by this weekend, & Sully is engineless.

Conrad you can stop by & see the frame I mentioned in your "frame notch" post on Sunday since you're heading down this way. Let me know if so. Thanks.

Of course, it was WARM! I ran 11.4 and 11.5 two weeks ago in the cold. Sunday was a different matter entirely. I adjusted QA1's for soft front and hard rear, dropped pressure in Nitto DR's from 23 to 17.5 and pumped front tires to max allowable of 44 psi. Disconnected one end link of front sway bar.
Did a reasonable burnout (short) and left at ~2 psi boost... 11.9 @ 115 mph for 1st two runs (60' - 2.0 and 2.1). No spinning of tires. Launched straight.

Third run, I left it in 3rd gear and ran 12.2 @ 117 mph.

Fourth run, I built 5-6 psi at starting line and BLEW the tires away!

I have been letting the tranny shift itself (5,000 rpm consistently) and holding boost at 20 psi with 100 octane. I'm getting NO knock.

I MUST work on my burnout technique and find the sweet spot on boost at the line. As usual, the starting line was not prepped for the T-n-T. My son was going to go with me to help with burnout but had to back out at last minute for family emergency. Guess I will sell my Nitto DR's and go with some MT's as that is what everyone has experience with.

Conrad

I have been letting the tranny shift itself (5,000 rpm consistently) and holding boost at 20 psi with 100 octane. I'm getting NO knock.

Conrad

Conrad,

With your combo. of heads, cam, turbo, etc. you should be rev'ing that motor to at least 5600 on the shift points. You're leaving alot of HP/rpm on the table by letting the tranny "short shift".

my .02,

K.

Keith,
I agree totally. I am debating whether to grind on the governor weight for an elevated automatic shift or to install a better shifter and do it myself. Your thoughts?
Conrad

Keith,
I agree totally. I am debating whether to grind on the governor weight for an elevated automatic shift or to install a better shifter and do it myself. Your thoughts?
Conrad

My thoughts... :biggrin:

The less you have to do or the less you have to pay attention to... So that you can concentrate on driving, the better.

With that said, I usually let the tranny shift itself on the 1-2, and then I manually shift the 2-3.

If the tranny is tuned to shift exactly where you want it to, just throw it in 3rd and concentrate on tuning in the best mph/rpm to lock the converter.

I don't see much listed in your sig. for the rotating assembly/short-block. If you're still running the stock crank with stock caps keep your rpm in check.

K.

Keith,

Thanks so much for your input. The less I have to think about the better! Your procedure of letting tranny shift by itself into 2nd gear sounds reasonable. How much trouble is it get the governor out to grind on it? I am thinking about setting it up to shift at 5,500 rpm on its own. Just don't want to mess up the tranny. I went thru the lights at 6,000 rpm in 3rd gear on my 3rd run (I apparently put it in 3rd before makiing the run). It survived that but don't want to push my luck.

The short block is dead stock. As far as I know, the bottom end has never been disturbed. Do you feel that 5,600 rpm should be the max? I definitely don't want to destroy the motor.

Any advice on controlling the boost at the starting line? Going to a track that actually preps the starting line would probably help.

Conrad

If it was me...

I would run a taller tire and lock the converter after the 2-3 shift. You'll have to see where the car likes the lock-up to happen the best.

With a stock short block, and the HP/TQ potential you have I would not want to rev the motor too high. The crank will start to move around too much and any hint of detonation with the higher rpm will leave pieces behind.

Your cam will like rpm, but your short-block won't. I would shift @ 5600 max, and go through the traps as low rpm as possible while keeping the car within the power curve.

Time to think ahead and start building the big motor... ;) :cool:

K.

Keith,
Thats again for the insight. I value your experience. I have already been thinking about the new motor. Will take a while as it does get expensive, but I do enjoy the challenge of going fast with just a V-6. Cool.
Conrad

Back