You can type here any text you want

Roller Camshaft

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

mtocrs1

Mtocrs1
Planning to upgrade to a roller camshaft. I Plan to order the 206/210 with Morel lifters from Full throttle speed. Two questions.
1. Does this seem a good choice with my combo (in sig)?
2. Is there anything missing from the kit that I will need to purchase seperatly to install? I have never installed a roller in one of these before and would like to avoid any supprises.
Thanks,
Dave

I have the same exact cam from fullthrottle. The only thing the kit is missing is a timing chain. I have a similar combo as you and my car idles like a stocker and pulls hard to 5900 rpm. I think it is a great cam choice for your combo especially if it's mainly a street car. I have a friend with a similar combo in a street car who has a cam with more duration and he has no low end. He is switching to the 206/210 after getting killed out of the hole by my car

When your all done, just a suggestion after the break in oil,....I use 15/50w Moblie 1 Racing oil, It quite's the "Taps" an will keep it's viscosity "Especially" if you aren't running a Oil Cooler..(i run the 218 roller with 1.65 rockers...8^)..)

Enjoy!

if this is your first roller build you will need a pushrod checker....getting the correct preload is key to longevity and how much noise the drive train will make. If you are going to use the stock rockers more than likely the the .815 pushrods that come wit the kit will work but double check when installing AND TAKE YOUR TIME:cool:

Don't the heads require a little work to install these cams?
Other than the springs there is more to it?

I thought the exhuast valve guides had to be cut down?

Not sure but that would sure be nice to know ahead of time. Can anyone confirm or disprove this?

Typically yes the guides need to be cut down so binding does not occur......I think you may be able to get away with not doing it based on how much lift your cam has. My heads are stock ported champions and the guides were cut plus I have a lil bigger cam so it is needed.

Either try to find another member that has that cam to confirm other than that you would have to check for clearance when assembled but that is a pain.

Not sure but that would sure be nice to know ahead of time. Can anyone confirm or disprove this?

yes, the exhaust guides need to be cut. The cam shaft you are considering has much more lift then a stock shaft.

yes, the exhaust guides need to be cut. The cam shaft you are considering has much more lift then a stock shaft.

Are there roller setups that do not have enough lift to cause the bind at the guides?

Most I have seen have .516 lift or better.

new exhaust valves (so seals will work) seals and machining add a bit to this job in down time and cost.

Comp cams has a 206/206 roller with .496 lift but it comes with there noisy lifters........

No....you don't need to cut the guides with that cam if you stay with the stock rockers. Pioneer INC Automotive Products make a nice 1.25" steel retainer that will give you .100" more clearance than using the stock retainers. I have used them several times. Sorry i don't have the part# on hand but a search on their site might supply that information.

OK I think I got off course here...I put my own kits together,that kit comes with BeeHive springs which I never use so of course these retainer will not work. Back under my rock now.

No....you don't need to cut the guides with that cam if you stay with the stock rockers. Pioneer INC Automotive Products make a nice 1.25" steel retainer that will give you .100" more clearance than using the stock retainers. I have used them several times. Sorry i don't have the part# on hand but a search on their site might supply that information.

OK I think I got off course here...I put my own kits together,that kit comes with BeeHive springs which I never use so of course these retainer will not work. Back under my rock now.

Good info..I wasn't aware of such a product. Use a standard spring coupled with the pioneer steel retainer and you should be good to go.

What springs do you use and a part number for those retainers would be awesome! Pioneer's web site lists 3 different part numbers for our application.

If you order the cam from FT you can get the 206/206 with the Morel lifters thats what I have in my car. other then a good valve job all I did to the heads was clearence for a set of roller rockers I do have a set od HS rockers on it.

What springs do you use and a part number for those retainers would be awesome! Pioneer's web site lists 3 different part numbers for our application.

The strongest 1.26" spring I have been able to find is the Competition Products #98215 Specks at 145@1.750 ...345@1.250......440@1.125 and coil bind @ 1.065 Hope this help. I Use a good forged 7 deg lock. VDO #4133 also from Comp Products.

Back